Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Any tricks to get CJ steering shaft out? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/87749-any-tricks-get-cj-steering-shaft-out.html)

ExtinctJeep 09-19-2001 07:25 PM

Any tricks to get CJ steering shaft out?

I'm trying to remove the 23 year old steering shaft from my CJ5 and I have both clamps off, but only the gear side will move. I can't get the slip joint to slip and the top attachment won't budge. I'm soaking it with Liquid Wrench now. I also noticed that the column bearing is bad, so I've ordered a new one.

Any tips for things to watch for? and tips for how to pry the top of the shaft off?

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

WILL 09-19-2001 09:07 PM

Re: Any tricks to get CJ steering shaft out?

Most likely the slip joint will not slide. It has some nylon plugs to prevent this but the plugs can shear in the event of a front end collision. You said the clamps are off so I assume that means the bolts are out too. You might have to loosen the steering column to allow the shaft to move back far enough to come all the way off the steering gear. I had a very hard time getting mine to come off the first time I removed mine. Just keep soaking it in penetrating oil and tapping it. You might even try a little heat. Also, try prying the coupling open a little with either a screwdriver or a chisel.

There is a groove the bolts pass through to prevent the shaft from coming off if the clamp should loosen but the bolt stay.

ExtinctJeep 09-19-2001 11:45 PM

Er....loosen the steering column? Wouldn't that necessitate removing the dash, steering wheel, wires etc...? What about the gear? Would it be easier to remove it through the steering gear? I'll probably have to loosen the column. How?

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

**DONOTDELETE** 09-20-2001 08:05 AM

AAHHHH, The liquid wrench is the problem, you need the ole' PB Blaster. Hehe, all joking aside let it soak for a while tap it from every angle with a brass hammer then see if it will give. If not apply some heat to it.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

WILL 09-20-2001 08:07 AM

The steering column is held to the floor with a two piece plate that clamps the bottom of the column. Just loosen the clamp and the four bolts to the floor. That should give you enough room to get the shaft free.

lugnut 09-20-2001 11:43 AM

The only way I can remove or install my steering shaft is by removing the steering box assembly. It is held on by three bolts on the frame that go through the spring hanger, and 2 bolts that are in front of the grill in the front crossmember. Once I loosen that(and support the frame!) the whole shaft comes right out!

Lugnut 77 cj5

JeepDaddy 09-20-2001 11:49 AM

Remove the bolts from both clamps and loosen the steering column at the firewall (6 bolts) and under the dash (2 bolts) so it will slide rearward about an inch. It is easy once the column is back.

1976 CJ7 304/TH400/QT/D30/AMC20
Front D44 in process.