lowering the radiator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:05 PM
Joker2002

lowering the radiator

I am in the process of ordering a 3" body lift, and I was just wondering how to lower the radiator and what the purpose of doing it was. The brand of the lift is Performance Accessories, and I think that the kit comes with a steering shaft extension. If not, would I need to get one?

Blake
93 YJ/4.0L/30s (Soon to have about 7" of lift!)
"Drive it like a wild man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:21 PM
sas87yj

Re: lowering the radiator

WOW a 3" body lift!
well the radiator is attached to the body so it will also go up the same 3". the fan is attached to the engine, which is attached to the frame which didn't move. so...........the fan will hit the shroud.

yeah the steering shaft will be another issue along with possible air conditioning lines, muffler/tailpipe hangers, any wires/lines attached to body under hood etc.......

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

don't get a 3" body lift. to much strain on the body mounts. plus, you'll have to cut the floor to let the shifter shift into 2, 4 and reverse.
get 1" body if you really need it.
i just took off my 2" body lift and will go with TJ flares instead to clear my tires. also, it feels like jeep is more stable now.

<>< 1992 YJ http://dennisuello.tripod.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 08:38 PM

Hey, i agree with them, dont get the 3 inch unless really necissarry, i just did it though, haha. It is really ugly too. About the steering shaft, i dont knwo hwo it is for yours but mine there were 2 nylon pins i drilled out and it is supposed to extend, i had to pound on mine for a while for it to drop. Lowering the radiator is so your fan still pulls air through the radiator. I did not do this but believe it would be easiest this way, just take the whole radiator out and drill new holes to lower the radiator(this was the biggest pain trying to keep it in the jeep, took me a few hours). Also, about the fan shroud, you may have to lower that more than teh radiator is lowered and i still had to cut out the bottom of the fan shroud, try not to do that if possible. Um, the shifter, i did not have to cut out the floor where the shifter is. If your jeep is manual, i had to extend the clutch linkage(welding) and i also had to lower the hole through the firewall where the linkage goes through. I believe that is all i did. When you raise up the body, before you put in the pucks and everything, make sure nothing is being streched. Have fun, be safe. Peace
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode