tires, the last time i will ask - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

tires, the last time i will ask

ko, i have all of my pennys in my jar and i am ready to donate the to mt local dealer, but this is a hard decision, what tire? i have posted asking about 34x9.5 swampers and have gotten some good advice. now i am having second thoughts. are they too nerrow? i do not do many rocks, mostly trails, with steep hills,deep ruts,mud,off camber, and snow. i am thinking about tsl radial 33x10.5 or the tsl 33x12.5, or would the 34x9.5 be the correct choise? or is there some where else i should be looking? any input would be great.

gdm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:07 PM
Addict

Re: tires, the last time i will ask

I think the 33x12.5 is a pretty good all around size for most terrain. Serious rockcrawling however would best be handled with a taller tire. Put the 33x12.5 on a 8" rim and it will give you pretty good performance when airing down (not as likely to pop a bead). Just my $.02

"Don't tread on me."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gotta agree with Mike that serious rock crawling requires bigger than a 33. I run 33s, crawl in some of the toughest terrain in the country, and am CONSTANTLY getting hung up. In fact it is so frustrating that at the UFWDA I was running RJs Trail on Sat., a trail I have run several times before with no problem, but got hung up twice on the very first obstacle. I got pissed off and parked (wasn't feeling well either), took pics instead! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 02:24 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I still think the 34x9.5 is the best tire for your application. Once you try it, trust me, you'll be hooked. I wouldn't even look at the radials, not enough off highway traction. The 33x12.5 will also be too wide, IMHO, for the weight of your jeep.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

OK i think i am going to stay with 34x9.5 i have found some sami wheels 15x5.5, i assume these will work ok. now will these tires give me a tippy feeling?

gdm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 02:11 PM
I Do This For The Glory

While they share the same bolt pattern, they won't clear the Jeep disc brakes. I see you're running the D27 though, which only had drum brakes, so you'd be safe. The backspacing on them is 4", which sucks because it puts the tire so far into the wheel well. I cut out the centers (using an angle grinder and dremel) and inverted them, then rewelded them in place. This gives me a 2" backspacing now, which is perfect. It's easy to do since when you cut the center out you can see the paint line and use that as a guidance mark to realign the center section. Mine came out perfect. There are some companies out there that will do the same thing for a nominal fee, and they'll balance them and check for runout as well. I typically run mine at 2-4 psi. I think you'll love the tires, they grip very well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

witch one of your rigs do you run 34x9.5's on? thay are not too tippy?

gdm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode