R&P gear replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

R&P gear replacement

ok folks
someone point me in the right direction to get the best gears at the cheapest price
i think i decided on 3.73s for my 83 CJ with current 2.73s
i'm running 33s and will go to 35s w/258 and auto xmsn.
still welcoming opinions on the gear size and definitely need to know where to shop
thanks
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:47 AM
Veteran

Re: R&P gear replacement

Drivetrain direct has "package" deals for about $410 incl. Front & Rear R&P & install kits. You will also need a new carrier for the rear (I assume AMC20), and if you go numerically higher than 3.73, I believe you will need a new carrier for the front (D30). They had quoted me $50 for the carrier for the rear one time.

http://www.drivetraindirect.com

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Actually he'll need a new front carrier as well, the break on the D30 is 2.73 to 3.54 and 3.73 to 5.38. You may be thinking of the D44 break, which is 2.73 to 3.73 and 3.92 to 5.88.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:52 AM

With a 6-cyl and automatic I'd be wanted 4.10 gears at least to run 33s. I'm going to be running 31s with a 258/TF-727 and 4.10 gears soon.

Make it up as you go.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wow thanks all, especially for the link mel
hey sycho what advantage will 4.10s give me over 3.73s?
will it still allow me to travel at interstate speed?
thanx
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bob, it depends on the tranny you're running. The thoughts of lower gearing with an automatic is b/c it has a torque converter. With a 3-speed auto, 4.10s would be the highest I'd go with 33s. With a 4-speed, you've got more options.

Oh...how's BTR? Jeepchick and I are flying in mid-October to visit the fam. in Lafayette.

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey i learned a little more on gearing today. with the 3 speed auto and no overdrive the 3.73 option looks best to keep the hiway RPM under control
if i had an overdrive i would step up to 4.10s
as is i need new cases in the front and rear so around $800 total
which begs the question....gears first then winch?? naw better use the common sense!
thanks everyone
bob
oh canis LFT is fine but a little soggy and the WX man promised a cool front (RIGHT)

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 09:15 PM
Veteran

Excuse me(hand in air). Unless I miss my guess the only carrier he is going to need is for the front. The factory carrier in the model 20 is good for all available gear ratios.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:34 PM
BMB
Veteran

spook2,
Nope, from what I have learned the 2.73 AMC20 carrier is only good with that ratio. 3.08 through 4.56 use the same carrier. Kind of sucks 'cause I got 2.73s too.

BMB

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:07 PM
Addict

OK guys, let me throw in my 2 cents.
I just had my 2.73's swapped for 4.10's. I have an 83 CJ7 with the 258 and 4 speed tranny and 33" BFG MTs.
Yes, you will need a new carrier for the front and rear. But check this out, no one has the factory open carrier for the AMC 20. The only carriers available are the Auburn L/S and Detroit Locker. That's it! Unless of course you know where to get a used one. I got the Auburn as it is more streetable and cheaper then the Detroit unit.
Power is great now with the 4.10's but the rpms climb way fast.
A local shop did mine. The total bill was about $1500 including tax. The Auburn alone was $350. Labor was $500. The rest was parts.

Imagine life with no paved roadways!
Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode