Bumper Pics and Info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:02 AM
jeepfiend

Bumper Pics and Info

Here are a couple more bumper pictures. I make a little progress over the weekend. The tube is 2x4" 1/8" wall. I did the math, and the tubes are more that strong enough to hold up my little CJ2. I am going to add a couple more attachment points to the rear, but the front will only see the addition of tow tabs and and a receiver tube.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-544673-Mvc-450f.jpg (76.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:06 AM
jeepfiend

Re: Bumper Pics and Info

Here is a shot of the tabs that were burned on the plasma table at work. I will drill the tab for the screw pin shackles, like the one in the picture.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-544680-Mvc-439f.jpg (59.7 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:15 AM
jeepfiend

This is a shot of the full rear bumper, the tabs for the shackles will go through adjacent to the attachment tabs you can see on the top back of the bumper. I am going to cut through both sides of the bumper and weld the shackle tabs to the front and back of the tube. I will put another attachment clip on the other side of the shackle tab for strength. I am also going to add a swing away tire carrier. I'll keep the pics coming as things progress.

I have to go to Alaska for a few days to look at a tank, so I will be away from the board for a few days. If anyone wants dimensioned drawings of the bumpers, I probably could be persuaded to put some rudimentary plans together.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-544687-Mvc-438f.jpg (59.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:16 AM

1/8" Tube for a bumper?
I thought 1/4 was the absolute minimum.
Wouldn't 1/8 fold like aluminium foil in an accident/fender bender?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:27 AM
jeepfiend

In a wreck, it probably would fold, but that is better than the frame folding. You would be suprised how strong the tube really is. I used to design semi-truck trailers, and we made our rear underride guards out of 1/8" tube, and they were made to absorb the impact of a car rear-ending the trailer. I did some destructive testing on some of these trailer bumpers, and it actually took a lot of force to bend the tubes. Quarter would be great, if my frame was also quarter inch, but I don't think my little 60hp flattie would do too well lugging around a 1/4" thick frame. In an accident I want the bumper to absorb impact, not transfer it to the frame. For off-road situations the 1/8" is more than strong enough. If you are interested, I could go through the math and give the specific reasons of why the tube is adequate, but I promise it would probably bore you to death.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:58 AM

Prolly not, Just whenever I look at 1/8th I think "Tin Foil."
I actually did the math on a victim I had once.

Guy steps out of the hot-tub, and blacks out.
Looses all balance, and falls like a plank (didn' crumble, just fell like a 2"/4".) He smoked his head solidly on the tile deck.

So after the paramedics came and took him away suspecting a spinal injury, I did the math on what the 1" sq. area on the back of his head was supposedly subjected too.

It was about equal to a freight train smashing into you if you were standing in its way.

Pretty forking amazing when you think they just x-rayed the guy and sent him home.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 09:33 AM
Pooh-Bah

Jeepfiend-
As with the front you posted already, they look great, what's the notched area on top of the bumper for?

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 09:35 AM

Roll-cage tubing is only 1/8" wall... Personally I'd go for 3/16" for bumpers, its a happy medium.

Make it up as you go.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 09:52 AM
jeepfiend

On the back of the flat fender frames there is a place to bolt a pintle hook. I am going to build an off-road trailer with a swivel tongue and I want to pull it with a pintle instead of a regular ball. I have some pictures on the regular camera that I need to get developed, and one of them shows the relation of the notch to the pintle plate on the back of the Jeep frame. I'll get one posted as soon as the film is developed.
For the bumpers I am going to build for my CJ7, I will use 3/16", but the Flattie weighs quite a bit less, and doesn't have near the power. I am trying to find that happy medium between strength and lightweight. I know I could just put in a V-6 or something like that, but I really like the old flat head four. And this build-up is somewhat of a semi-restoration.
Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode