Digital camera for taking 4WD shots? - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Digital camera for taking 4WD shots?

One other thing, the Sonys also have a threaded lens and have optional lenses. My point with all this is VERSATILITY, being able to use different media and ANY computer.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 02:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

The latest Sony (seen @ BestBuys) used a CD-RW for storage! Granted, ONLY 650Mb of space does have it's limits[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. It also does video. My dual pennies worth.
FWIW, I still use Fuji disposables in the woods. If it's trashed somehow, no biggie.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando "Project Mossy"
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 02:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Versatility is the key here, and the Maciva is HUGE to lug around.

I'm biased, I just don't like them. Floppies ARE 1980's technology as well, I remember getting my first HD floppy drive in '89, I thought I was in heaven. My 40 Mb hard drive came in '90 and when I upgraded to 1Mb of memory, I was stylin' with a smoking computer at 16 MHz. Oh how times change.

Oh yeah, my Toshiba can use external lenses as well, with the adapter.

Head to http://www.pricescan.com/digiphoto/08010100.asp and it will give you all sorts of cool stuff, like the best prices on any digital camera, reviews, price trends, and much more.

It basically comes down to price, what do you want to spend. What you spend directly affects what options you get.

If you can't narrow it down to one camera, do like I did and look at the functions for your money. I wanted certain items, like USB for quick downloads (like 4 sec a pic at 1Mb size), AA batteries (cheaper and some of the Lithium ones can cost $65 with a 90 day warranty), optical zoom (digital is OK, but you really need an optical to make a difference), multiple modes (like setting the camera manually), macro (for close up shots), internal flash, and a separate viewfinder so you don't waste all your battery power running the LCD. I also like the Smartmedia as it's a little cheaper than the Compact Flash, but CF is OK as well since you don't buy media every day.

I coulnd't decide on the Fuji Finepix 2400 or the Toshiba PDR-M60 until I tried them both out at a store, the Toshiba was SOOOOO much easier to use that I decided against the Fuji right away. When you think you have your choices narrowed down, go out and try the cameras at a store to make sure it's the one you like.

Another thought, sometimes you can get cameras that are display models, but you have to ask for them. They can usually be had at about 60%-75% of the full price though, and at places like Circuit City and Best Buy, you can still get the extended warranty with them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 07:06 PM

Brad,

i stand corrected then...

I guess it all boils down to what you need it for... if you need it for web publishing i'd go cheap and low-res...

If you want to keep the option for printing open (he||, what do i know that i will want to do with the pics in - say - 3 yrs from now) you might consider going hi-res (2.1MegaPixel, 3.3MP) - but this is a decision agains floppies (ONE 3.3MP file with regular compression is like 1,2MB - or the equivalent of 1 disk)

alfred

ps: you might shop around e-bay... you can get good deals on new or nearly new cam's there

post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WOW ! thanks for all the replies guys! It is going to be hard to choose between a cheepie that I won't freak out about when I drop it onto a rock while shooting a buddy wheeling, or the fancy cd writer model. I will let everyone know what I end up getting, but who knows when that will be. It is hard to spend money right now with all the terrorist war scare. (sigh) but...look for me posting pics of my jeep soon.
-carl

post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:13 PM

I spent(OK!my my spent!) 250 dollars on a fujifilm 2.1 megapixel finepix camera.
It doesn't have zoom(I don't feel I need zoom though..
It takes some really high quality pictures.
Check my post about projects to see another pic.
I went to the okc memorial this weekend and took this picture(I didn't get the whole head in the pic!!I was up against the wall so I couldn't back up anymore)
This is Jesus turning his back to the building,with his head in his hands.
The pic is kinda dark,but that is due to the "extreme" cloud cover.It POURED for like 4 hours straight about 10 minutes after I took the picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-545449-jesusokc.JPG (70.2 KB, 0 views)
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 06:44 AM
Old Hand

I recently bought the Olympus C200 Zoom, a 2.1 Mega pixel camera and I must say, I am very pleased with it. I think it has a different model number in the States though.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 in Land Rover Country

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-545640-alfie1.JPG (97.4 KB, 0 views)
post #28 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 06:55 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

It is hard to spend money right now with all the terrorist war scare.

<hr></blockquote>

Why should that have any impact on your decision?

Part of the reason for attacking the WTC was to cripple us financially.
If you don't go about business as usual, then it WILL criple us financially,
and the bastards have won. Don't let that happen. The US isn't
going anywhere, so figure out which camera you'd like and go get it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #29 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:31 AM

... i forgot a thing... the best accessory to any camara:

a pelican-case... check out http://www.pelican.com/

they are really cheap (starting at 20 bucks) and are highly recomendable for off-roading

alfred

post #30 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pelican Products - Better price ???

Alfred,

FYI, Pelican Products is one of those companies that I have access to at very competitive prices.

Check out:

http://www.cbrack.com/important_read_this.htm

then click on "Links Page".

This is one of those deals I offer as a service for other wheelers. As stated in the above web page, I do make a little, but really VERY little on these transactions.

Haven't sold any Pelican Products, but several years ago I bought one of their large suitcase type equipment carriers for a homemade portable computer setup. Still have the case, but the computer/printer/external drive setup is gone. Pelican makes some good stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode