Digital camera for taking 4WD shots? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Digital camera for taking 4WD shots?

Sony Mavica. One thing to look for when you buy is, IMO, make sure the camera has the option of using a standard floppy. Reason being, if you want to look at the pics on a computer other than yours you won't need the special software, just pop in the floppy. All those other media like memory sticks (the Sonys use both) require special software on the computer and a USB connection. I find the convenience of the floppy option very important.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:19 AM

I use a Sony Mavica FD73, it has 10x optical zoom.
It is very rugged, I throw it around the truck all week long for work, then throw it in the Jeep on the weekends.
It takes very good pictures if the light is right. They do not take night pictures as well as my old 35mm Cannon Sure Shot, and they can get oversaturated very easily, in full sunlight. Jeepchick still uses her Minolta SLR for photos that may get future treatment as framed pictures, or for long range shots. Thye are making some digitals that rival 35mm SLR performance, but they are still up over $1400, for a good quality changeable lens, SLR digital.
I would recommend the Sony for trail shots and fabrication photos. Im not sure what they go for, mine is company issued.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, but the floppy is only 1.44 Mb, which means the pictures will be small. I like being able to crop out the picture to get only the "meat" and no "filler". Also, I'll be you get a max of 10 photos per floppy, which means carrying around a case of them with you or limiting your shots. Then, when you get to a computer, you'll have to pop them in and out to go through all the pictures or find the one you want. Doesn't sound that convenient to me.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its convenient if you want to take them to another computer to look at them. Its just a very nice option to have, and a floppy will hold 30 pics, more than a roll of film. And the resolution is just great even at the lowest, the shots I posted last week from the UFWDA were at low resolution, they are just fine. The thing about the Sonys is you have the OPTION of either or. IMO it is indispensible.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use a Sony Mavica, the FD88. It uses 3.5" floppies.

Pros:
You can take pics, view them on any computer or give the floppy to someone else.
Pic quality is good enough for computer use.
Resolution can be changed for larger pics, smaller pics, etc.
Micro and Macro capabilities - both pretty good.
You can duplicate the floppies in the field using the camera.

Cons:
The camera is physically larger than non floppy cameras.
Uses a lot of electricity because the disk drive has to be powered from the battery too.
You have to carry a lot of blank floppies.

See attached .jpg demo. Total time - less than 5 minutes. That includes image editing, finding the camera, finding a disk, answering the phone etc.

Conclusions:
If you carry an extra charged battery and plenty of floppy disks, the versatility of the Sony outweighs the benefits of the smaller cameras. I can go into my shop, take a pic and send it around the world in a matter of minutes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-544944-demo.jpg (30.3 KB, 0 views)
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another quickie demo

Time so far 11 minutes. For some reason I had to wait for a long time for the web site to respond, but you can see how easy and quick this process is. Also had to take time for a bathroom break. Us old folks can't put that off for even a few minutes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-544957-demo2.jpg (59.8 KB, 0 views)
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:18 PM

yep, stay away from those floppy disk cameras...(there is a reason why those aint sold no more ;o)

it takes 1 foto (1600x1200 hi-res) to fill a disk (and you can imagine how long it takes to write a disk - and how much the battery drain is) ... thats 5yr old technology

they use have to use EXTREME compression to get some small fotos (40kb) - so the quality is at the level of disposable cameras

alfred

ps: here's a pic taken by the nikon CP800 ... I had to use high compressi˛n as the board only accepts 100Kb of pics. Also the pic is only 50% of its real size

the biggest advantage of the Nikons is they have by far the best aftermarket support... they are (at least to my knowledge) the only ones that have a threated lens, that allows you to use other lenses (zooms, wideangle, etc...) - i dont know if this is relevant for your decision

post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We use a Nikon Coolpix 990 at work. It is so good we can take photos of fingerprints with it. It is a little pricey tho...It gets handled pretty rough around here and seems to be real tough. But like was mentioned...don't even think about dropping it in the water. A little rain doesn't hurt it tho.

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alfred, you are dead wrong. Sony still uses the floppy OPTION along with memory stick in their new cameras, and there is not a huge battery drain. I just used a brand new model, the Sony Mavica Fd92, was just released in April, for my coverage of the UFWDA 25th. Like Doug Said, having the option is great, I can still use a memory stick if I want.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice pics, but if you will notice the file size of yours compared to mine. 98k vs 31k. My original pics were over 100k just as yours were. I reduced mine Waaaaay down so they would transmit faster. The Sony would have put the same resolution on the screen as your Nikon.

Not trying to get into a Camera war with you, only mentioning that as far as the computer goes, both will do the same thing. The higher resolution cameras like yours really shine when you take the digital image and put it on paper, but when you are dealing with a computer monitor, the monitor will only do so much. Even the lower resolution Sony will produce a higher resolution than a monitor is able to replicate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode