CO2 or argon/CO2 for 3/16" steel? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:00 PM
sas87yj

CO2 or argon/CO2 for 3/16\" steel?

this is a quote out of HOBART website. so if i get a HOBART HANDLER 135 wire feed and use my POWERTANK with CO2- will this be sufficient for 3/16" steel or do i need the argon/CO2 mix?

4. Use the proper shielding gas. CO2 is good for penetrating welds on steel, but may be too hot for thin metal. Use 75% Argon/25% CO2 for thinner steels. Use only Argon for aluminum. You can use a triple-mix for stainless steels (Helium Argon CO2).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CO2 or argon/CO2 for 3/16\" steel?

My welder, who is just about unreal with that mig, welds with 75/25 all the time. He goes from sheetmetal on a truck to 1/2 plates with the same bottle and welder. Also my best results with my mig was 75/25. It welded better but the welder was still the problem. Good luck

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:35 PM
Bill4x4

I have a Lincoln SP125 and use my power tank with CO2 and it works just great on thin and thick material. If you go with the Argon mix you will have to get another tank. But I think the CO2 if you try it will work just fine for most of your needs.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:44 PM
sas87yj

BILL4X4
all-righty then! i will give it a whirl. i will figure it out but did you use your powertank regulator or the reg that comes with the welder?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:45 PM

CO2 will be just fine for whatever you weld Steve and it's WAY cheaper than the mix. Straight CO2 does spatter a little more but not to bad at all. For home use ALL I ever use is CO2, because of the cash difference. Yes I'm a welder and if you didn't know look at the hobart books address and you'll see my hometown. We make those things here. Hell, I even dated the VP of the company's daughter for 2 years.(oops another story[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) Also I used to teach adult ed welding classes at the local vocational school in the evenings.
Save your money and leave the mix for more specific welding tasks, and some cash in your pocket.
BTW if you ever decide to go to the Hobart welding school........look me up. I'm buying.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:57 PM
sas87yj

DIRTDOG
thanks for the expert welding advice MASTAH! i will be building my own damn rear bumper/carrier and then BEYOND! me needs a welder- hobart looks good to me. made by miller right or visa-versa? $460 for the hobart 135 here in tucson. $525 for the miller 130xt.

school? nah, i'll go solo with this one and see what trouble i can get into! thanks fo' da offer though MASTAH WELDER!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 11:04 PM

Yeah, there all owned by ITW (illinois tool works) now.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Both are good machines. Actually the last 2 upper end welders I bought were lincolns. Their square wave 255 tig machine ROCKS for mid size shop work. All digital and soft touch buttons and a finese that just can't be matched by the other 2 companies for even another 1000 dollars.

PS......you'll really like the hobart BTW. It's great for a garage fab machine.

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 11:13 PM
sas87yj

DOG WELDER GOD
all-righty then, hobart it is!
stay tuned for more questions please!
damn look out he's got a welder
i can break $hit now with much more PRIDE!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 04:00 PM

Also, buy it from http://www.cyberweld.com. They have the best prices I've seen, free shipping, and are nice people to do business with. I bought a 230volt Hobart Handler 175AMP welder, SpeedGlass Auto-Darkening Helmet, Oxy/Ace torch kit and Oxy/Ace bottle cart for just a few bucks under $1000. It came to my house a couple days later. The Hobart is a real fun machine to play with too. Pulled it out of the box and practiced on some scrap. Then my friend welded up a hitch for his truck and an entire exhaust system for his brother's truck. I'm hoping to do some body-work with it in a couple weeks.

Make it up as you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode