727 dana 300 driveshaft ?s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

727 dana 300 driveshaft ?s

I currently have a 3.5 inch suspension lift. With the 727 dana 300 installed it doesn't even look close as far as the front driveshaft even clearing the pan. How much clearance is enough? I'm not ready to go spring over so my options are
1)shackle lift- Can I get enough lift with 1-1.5 in lift shackles?
2)new springs- Which springs should I get and how high should I go?
I've got to get the jeep operational again because my wife can only stomach so much downtime. So I'm kind of looking for a cheap fix until I can get it right.
Also wondering about a rear CV shaft. Is it necessary? Rear shaft will be about 20" but haven't measured the angle.
Any thoughts?
thanks

Kilo-1-6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 727 dana 300 driveshaft ?s

you need at least 5" of lift to clear a tf 727....
there are only 2 ways to make this happen.. SOA and 4" springs. get the 4" springs and 1" shackles.. they go on easy and fast..

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was noticing the same thing on my Scrambler. I have the 727/D300 combo without any lift. I am in the process of building everything and it looks like it will be close even with a 4" lift kit. You could raise the engine to help improve the clearance, this will also help with the rear shaft angle. You could get a clocking ring from Go2Guy engineering that would allow you to rotate the t-case down. That would decrease your ground clearance, but would help with the front shaft clearance, and then you could clock the t-case up when you get more lift. I raised my motor mounts 1" without any tub clearance issues. Be sure you adjust your fan shroud if you raise the engine.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The go2guy adapter I don't think will work. Although the pattern looks symmetrical I don't think it is from measuring. I e-mailed them for a price but haven't got a response yet. Who makes 4-5" lift springs and should I go with Wrangler springs?

Kilo-1-6
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 09:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

three are places that make custom springs(alcan comes to mind) they are pricey.. i think rubicon express sells 4.5" springs.
the dana 300 is clocked pretty far already behind the tf 727.. i dont think i'd want to go any further..

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 06:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I currently finished my summer project of building an 80 CJ7. All the peices went together rather well and everything is working surprisingly good other than this problem with my drivesshaft clearance. I did not know or realize this problem until all was almost complete. The springs that came in my pile of parts are not stock but do not have a whole lot of arch. I added 1.75 in shackles and got some clearance but no where near enough after driving and all settled. Its driveable but not in 4wd or offroad. I stopped at my local shop and looked into springs and he recommended BDS 3.5 inch lift springs. Said that these use factory sized bushings which i already have new from Energy Suspension. Still leary and not sure how much clearance this will give. Anyone with any other options or ideas speak up as I am itching to bouce her around some now that she is done. Anyone know if the pan can be dented/cut/modified and rewelded on the corner or is there something important under that particular point?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:14 AM

What does the front driveshaft interfere with on a 727 dana 300 combo? Would a rear sump oil pan from an eagle help?

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The couple guys that I know that have 727s in their CJs battled this for awhile until they figured out that the ONLY fix if you do much wheeling is SOA.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cjjeepcreeper or anyone,
the guys you know that have a set up that works, just the spring over or are they running lift shackles and lift springs along with the spring over? i am considering getting bds 4in springs and using them with my 1.75 shackles. just not sure if itll give me enough or not?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stock springs and shackles, just SOA.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode