How many "cores" is my radiator? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How many \"cores\" is my radiator?

Crazy question, but how do I tell if I have a 3 core radiator or a 2 core radiator. When I look down the hole in the top of the radiator, I see that it is 2 holes wide. Does that mean it is a 2 core radiator? I have a CJ with an auto and A/C so I assumed it would have a heavy duty radiator, but now I don't know.

Thanks

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 03:50 PM
Old Hand

Re: How many \"cores\" is my radiator?

There are rows of either aluminum or copper/aluminum tubing. If you look at the side of the radiator, you will see either 2 or 3 rows of this tubing. That's how many cores you have.

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 05:14 PM
sas87yj

sounds like you have a 2 row or core radiator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 07:17 PM

Sounds like a 2 core to me too.... lots o 2's there.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er.....ah....not to put too fine a point on it,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] but the CORE of a radiator is that portion which is between the tanks.......the part that is finned. The TUBES are the water passages that go through the core of the radiator. You can usually count them by peering through the filler neck, or looking closely through the core. Sometimes the rows of tubes are staggered to catch the air better. Many of the older cars had four row radiators because the older engines did not cool well. Nowadays, three rows is considered a heavy cooling option.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the laugh Dave.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Thats always been one of my pet peeves, having been in the buisness. I never say anything but it always drove me nuts.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] 3 core this, 4 core that..... ("dude it's a 3 row core")
Kinda like "I have a 500 HP motor in my jeep". I always reply... "how do yo supply all the electricity to power it?"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode