Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   How many "cores" is my radiator? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/87580-how-many-%22cores%22-my-radiator.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 09-18-2001 03:48 PM

How many \"cores\" is my radiator?

Crazy question, but how do I tell if I have a 3 core radiator or a 2 core radiator. When I look down the hole in the top of the radiator, I see that it is 2 holes wide. Does that mean it is a 2 core radiator? I have a CJ with an auto and A/C so I assumed it would have a heavy duty radiator, but now I don't know.

Thanks

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)

gigolo 09-18-2001 03:50 PM

Re: How many \"cores\" is my radiator?

There are rows of either aluminum or copper/aluminum tubing. If you look at the side of the radiator, you will see either 2 or 3 rows of this tubing. That's how many cores you have.

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

sas87yj 09-18-2001 05:14 PM

sounds like you have a 2 row or core radiator

GP'n 09-18-2001 07:17 PM

Sounds like a 2 core to me too.... lots o 2's there.:)
GP'n

CJDave 09-18-2001 08:32 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er.....ah....not to put too fine a point on it,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] but the CORE of a radiator is that portion which is between the tanks.......the part that is finned. The TUBES are the water passages that go through the core of the radiator. You can usually count them by peering through the filler neck, or looking closely through the core. Sometimes the rows of tubes are staggered to catch the air better. Many of the older cars had four row radiators because the older engines did not cool well. Nowadays, three rows is considered a heavy cooling option.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

Dirt Dog 09-18-2001 09:31 PM

Thanks for the laugh Dave.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Thats always been one of my pet peeves, having been in the buisness. I never say anything but it always drove me nuts.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] 3 core this, 4 core that..... ("dude it's a 3 row core")
Kinda like "I have a 500 HP motor in my jeep". I always reply... "how do yo supply all the electricity to power it?"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]