1 in body lift (DayStar or M.O.R.E.) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 03:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1 in body lift (DayStar or M.O.R.E.)

I want a 1 inch body lift on my CJ-8 to clear the NV4500 I'm installing and I have two choices. M.O.R.E. aluminum pucks w/poly bushings, or DayStar's all polyurethane.

Has anyone tried either of these? I'm most curious about the DayStar kit but I'm not sure if all that polyurethane would be too soft, or if it would just be quieter, or if it doesn't matter.
Input anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1 in body lift (DayStar or M.O.R.E.)

I've installed a MORE 1" body lift with their new poly mounts, on my Scrambler. Quality components, very good instructions. I was also concerned about too much flex between the body and frame, and I'm very happy with this setup. It rides better than it did on the worn out OEM rubber mounts. Initially I loosened the steering collum mounts and it fit okay, but I wanted the original collum position so I removed the collum from the box to the U-Joint by the firewall and melted the collapsable plastic inside and put in some silicon just in case it wanted to rattle (the instructions talk about this). Everyone I know that has done a sensible body lift have used MORE so I do't have any input on Daystar. Hope this helps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 07:57 AM

I have the Daystar kit on mine. It installs easy, and is NOT too soft. There's no noticeable body roll when cornering.

BillR
'86 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a couple of words for you, "Dislike metals will cause corrosion." For me, it wouldn't hamper me going with an alum. body lift('90 YJ w/ galvanized body, located in the south). But you have a CJ, that coupled with winter salted roads could prove to be alot of corrosion.

I currently have a 2" PA body lift(glass impregnated plastic lifting blocks), and it has served me well. When I go SOA, I will probably go down to a 1" Daystar or Energy Suspension poly body lift and forget about it forever(coupled with some high strength alloy mounting bolts[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]).

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 11:39 AM
utahjeepr

I like the daystar. The bodymounts are 1-piece. I have heard of the aluminum spacers cracking and falling out.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Daystar is great. Easy install, good instructions, and a nice lift. You wouldn't or shouldn't notice any type of body roll with just 1". Good luck, Ben

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have Daystar on my CJ7. It is complete with all new bolts and washers. Be sure to use some anti-seize when installing the new bolts. It will make them easy to take out if you ever need to. You will probably have difficulty taking the factory bolts out. Be sure to soak them with PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil(Not WD40).

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:28 PM

Another vote for the Daystar kit. I installed it last weekend and so far so good. I've noticed no body roll. Had to do some minor fan shroud modificating and relocating. Also definately put some heat to steering shaft on those plastic pins so it will slide apart to compensate for the increased distance. I knocked the ends of the plastic pins off with a chisel and thought that would be good enough but it wasn't. Ended up pulling the end of the shaft out of the bell coupler on the trail.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just my 2 cents, I've had the MORE aluminum pucks for 2 1/2 years, seems to be OK by me. Nice thing about them is you can buy just the pucks for $5 each, then buy the bolts locally for cheaper. BTW, I've never heard about a MORE puck cracking, I think what may have been referred to in a previous post are the aluminum axle degree wedges, those suck and do flatten out and crack.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either one.

As long as there is enough paint on the metal surfaces I don't think corosion should be a problem. Southern Cal isn't known for rusting cars anyway.
It seems like DayStar gets the vote though. My main concern with them was body roll, and no complaints of that yet.
What I liked about MORE's kit is that I could always take out the puck if I didn't need the lift, and still have a nice set of poly mounts.

I don't know, but DayStar may get the nod for a better price.

Thanks

'85 Scrambler under construction
5.7L Vortec, NV4500, and god knows what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode