nutter bypass delay / carb ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 07:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

nutter bypass delay / carb ?

hi everybody, after the last few weeks i finally took the time to pull the radiator for repairs and do some prelim work for the nutter bypass and TRI upgrade.
so here's my question....83 CJ 258 auto. i find a carb that says carter on the side (no surprise)and looks to be a one barrel. there is not an electrical wire w/i ten inches of that thing. so what is it?? there are no electrical connectors on it.
the CJ has always run very well, even getting compliments from other CJ owners, and i get about 12mpg on the road.
so what's the deal? is this the right carb and the nutter bypass does not apply to 83's. yes i realize it does not apply to this carb because it isn't wired
TIA
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 09:46 AM

Re: nutter bypass delay / carb ?

An '83 US model CJ would have a computer controled Carter BBD as original equipment. The BBD is two barrel and has a motor sticking out of it's back side with an electrical connector.
Since the Carter on your CJ is one barrel and has no electrical connector(s), quite possibly it is an OE Carter form an earlier (pre computer) CJ. I can't remember which model, sorry. But you can check the tech pages on ORC for lots-o-information. You can also look in a Haynes or Chiltons manual for more CJ carb information.
Another possibility is that your CJ is not a US model.
The nutter bypass would apply to all US model 1982 and up CJs and YJs w/258ci and computer controlled Carter BBD.
Maybe another driver of this Jeep did the swap because he/she was tired of dinking around with the BBD. You can check under the dash between the heater and glove box for the computer itself or the large plug for the computer. Perhaps, if not done together with a tub swap the person swapping might not have taken the time to remove the wire harness. Just another way to maybe find out what is what and/or if this is US model or not.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey thanx andy
great info always willing to learn and since the jeep came from NY it is quite possibly one that slipped over the border
well it saved me a few bucks and now i can move on to the TR upgrade
thanks again
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 08:47 PM
brendan

Earlier versions of the bbd did not have the stepper motor on the back. This is the version that I have on my truck. Make sure it isn't one of these before your assume it's a YF. Brendan

Proud owner of the world's best running Carter BBD
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

pardon my ignorance brendan but what is a YF?
bob

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 10:09 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

YF is a one barrel Carter carb. I had one on a 76 cj5 and it did well, good milage and power, better than my current 2 barrel non-puter BBD.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 03:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wow thanx to you all
as usual the info is plentiful and accurate, thanks for my continued jeep education
bob

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 06:00 PM
brendan

More power from a coke can? What was the engine/drivetrain setup? Brendan

Proud owner of the world's best running Carter BBD
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey brendan
as far as i can tell the drive train is all stock, AMC 20 Dana 30, dana300, 258 w/999 auto
further research revealed the carb is a yf and it sure runs good and gets good gas mileage
thanx 4 the help
bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode