No start !!! HELLLPP !!!!!!!! anyone????!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

No start !!! HELLLPP !!!!!!!! anyone????!!!!!!!!

ok i thought it was the starter but i have a brand new on in there and the Jeep still wont start!

so can someone please tell me what sort of voltage readings i should get when my ignition is on and during cranking from the solenoid. there are 4 terminals on the solenoid. the one on the left goes to battery, the far right goes to starter and two middle ones labeled "S" and "I" the "S" has a green wire and the "I" has a red wire.

when i put it in the run position everything works and i can push start my jeep if i need to, but when i crank, nothing happens. Its a new starter and new solenoid. it ran before, but then the solenoid literally went up in a poof of smoke and it has been able to start w/o a push since.

IS THERE MAYBE A FUSE I CAN SEE?

Please someone? voltages and continuity ? THANKS!!

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>
1985 CJ7 in pieces right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: No start !!! HELLLPP !!!!!!!! anyone????!!!!!!!!

Greg, I too am in a fix. I don't know what to tell you, but I have a similar problem. I have replaced the ignition switch, the coil, the selinoid and the ignition module. Does it crank when youshort the selinoid? Mine does so I figure there is a problem before that, but I don't knoow what. If you solve yours e-mail me to let me know what happened.

Ron

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

yea i just did a direct jump to the starter with a set of jumper cables by recommendation of Sycho15) and it did crank, so i know its not the starter.....must be in the solenoid or wiring.

and yea.....i'll let you know if i find anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 04:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well.. you said it turns over with direct jump.. then you have a bad solenoid.. or something screwy with your wiring..
your blue wire going to the solenoid is coming from your ignition switch.. it should splice into the blue wire from the ignition module.. and it should go to the "s" post on the solenoid.. the "i" side should be some kind of red resistance wire.. that should go to the "+" side of coil.. and to the red wire on the ignition module..
the green wire from the module goes to the "-" side of coil..
during start your "s" should have 10-12 volts on it.. for cranking the engine over.. when in the run position you will have 2-4 volts on the "i" side.. that is what the resistor is for..
another thing.. make sure ALL your connections are clean.. and tight.. also make sure the solenoid is grounded.. (bolting it to the metal fender is ground)

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 05:28 PM
Old Hand

as jeepgod said, check your connections, make sure they're all clean. also check to make sure you didnt get a solenoid for an auto tranny, it will have a small post on the bottom. this would keep the solenoid from engaging if its not hooked up

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

THANKS JEEPGOD!

I'm not getting 12v to the "S" position on the solenoid and i have 6.7v on the "I" side when in the run position. and im know its wired correctly. i just swapped the wires from the old solenoid onto the the new one...so if it worked before it should work now.....unless the short cooked something else. SO i guess that leaves the ignition switch....right?

how do i change out an ignition switch?......i have a bad feeling this is going to be a pain in the butt...

lemme know! and thanks again!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The ignition switch is very easy. It's on the steering column just below the dasch. 2 screws and the rod from the key switch are the only things holding it on. It should have 2 connectors attached to the side. Mine looks sort of rectangular. They are about $15, but make sure you really need it. A jeep tech told me it could still be the starter on miine causing the trouble.

Ron

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 03:25 PM
Sully

Also call a few parts stores to make sure you got the right solenoid part, I've been given the wrong one before and the leads looked similar but it did not work at all. In fact, I think that it was wrong in the computer at Advanced Auto but AutoZone had it correct when I went there.

Sully

'84 CJ7 Laredo HEI & Weber

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 04:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you should take your ignition module in and check it.. i have recieved bad ones before.. it wont hurt since you are going in for the ignition switch..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

would a wrong ignition ( the thing on the lower driver side inside fender) cause the jeep to not crank? i thought they were a kinda seperate system?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode