Which winch...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 11:31 PM
tdog90yj

Which winch...?

I have been looking at investing in a winch in the 9,000# range and was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the Ramsey platinum 9000 vs the Warn 9000.
thanks ahead of time for any input

Travis
Lots of goodies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which winch...?

I dont exactly know from experience but I would say get the Ramsey. Its cheaper and is a good quality winch. I think when you go with Warn you are paying a lot for the name. I dont think there is much difference in the quality.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

warn! warn! warn! i don't think you are paying for a name. heck ramsey has been around for quite a while too. i just believe the warn is a better product. yes i have a ramsey re8000 worm gear winch and trhey are big and heavy duty and of good quality but it is in the garage floor and a warn m8274 (the best in my opinion) sitting on the front of the jeep now. the re8000 is sssslllloooowwww! did i say it was slow?! anyway the warn m8274 is a reliable winch and has been around for alot of years and it is fast. i'm not saying ramseys are junk but i do believe the warn is a better winch in both reliability and speed.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 09:46 AM

The 8274 is an incredible winch. I had one on my FJ-40 and was amazed at the speed, and how it pulled! They are expensive though, I believe around $1,200! I had an REP8000 on a 79 CJ-7, it wasn't bad, it was slow but would get you out of pinch.. if your going for serious, hardcore off roading and plan on using it every wheeling trip, spend the extra money on the Warn 8274 if it's just for peace of mind on light wheeling trips, i'd save the money and go for a different Warn Model or the Ramsey. Rick

"It's not ugly! It just has a lot of "Character"!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 09:56 AM
Official Historian

utahjeepr posted that he can sell you a Warn HS9500i for $725 plus shipping.

If I had the money, I would be getting one but it will have to wait until I graduate in December and get a job.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:52 AM
utahjeepr

Well, I'm not gonna bash Ramsey. They make a fine winch. As others have said, their worm gear winches are slow. However worm gear winches are very durable and are very suitable as industrial winches. Ramsey makes planetary gear winches also, they are just a little bit more expensive than the worm gear models.

However, I deal in Warn so I know more about Warn than I do about the Ramsey's. Hopefully someone can post some info for you comparing their line to the Warn line. I do know that the Ramsey Platinum 9500 is very comparable in price, quality, and features to the Warn HS9500i that I sell.

The only reasonable arguement I have heard when choosing top of the line Ramsey vs top of the line Warn is that the remote leads are not interchangable. Seems like a pretty silly point, until you are on the trail and have forgotten your remote lead at home (seen it happen), or have gotten it tangled and torn up in the cable (seen it happen), or the remote just doesn't work (heard of it happening). In this case if you have a Ramsey and everyone else has a Warn, you can't borrow a remote and your winch is out of action. I don't think this should be too much of a deciding factor, just something to consider.

What you want to look for when comparing winches is:

Type of motor - series wound is best, permanent magnet is cheaper. Permanent magnet motors loose power over time. Ramsey makes both, Warn only sells series wound in the recreational market.

Gear type - worm gear, planetary, spur gear (Warn 8274 only). All have proven themselves very reliable in the self recovery market. Worm gear is slowest, planetary and spur gear are faster. All Warn winches except the 8274 are planetary.

Speed and amp draw at load are also important considerations between comparable models.

In the 8000 lb market I would take the Warn XD8000i or the Warn M8000 over the Warn 8274. The 8274 is faster in the no load to 2000 lb load range, but is much more expensive. The 8274 is also very bulky. The 8274 does have more cable(150') than the XD(100') or the M(80'). 8274 winches have almost a cult type following (no offense). The guys that love the 8274 wouldn't have anything else. It would most likely be discontinued by now except for this. In my opinion the XD or the M are better choices. Between the XD8000i and the M8000, the XD has 20' more cable and the soleniods are integrated into the housing for a slightly more reliable design. The M is still a good winch, and a little(not much) cheaper. In my opinion the XD8000i is the better choice in the 8000 lb range. You can pay a LOT more($350 more) for the 8274 for not much gain in my opinion, or you can save very little($25 less) and get the M8000. For the small price difference between the XD and the M, I believe the added features of the XD8000i are worth it.

In the 9000-9500 lb category warn has 4 winches. There are the 9000 lb XD9000 and the XD9000i and the 9500 lb HS9500 and HS9500i. The i models have the integrated solenoid design and have 25' more cable (125' vs 100'), again I feel the added features are worth the very small difference in price between the "i" models and the standard models. The HS9500 models are obviously rated for an additional 500 lbs, but the biggest difference is in speed and amp draw. The no load - 2000 lb load speed of the HS model is quite a bit faster, after that the speed is pretty much comparable. The amp draw of the HS models however is lower across all load ranges. The HS models are a bit more expensive, but I feel they are the better winch. The price difference between the standard model XD9000 and the "top of the line" HS9500i is only around $75. So for that $75 you get 500 lbs more pull, lower amp draw, 25' more cable, and the integrated solenoid design.

For all the reasons above, I have decided to stock only the HS9500i. I can get any of Warn's winches, but the demand for them given the difference in price makes me hesitant to stock them.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:10 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have a Ramsey and it has served me well. However, one point that has not been brought out is customer support. When I needed to repair my old winch, Ramsey offered little to no support. I've heard Warn is much better. If you do need winch parts, I reccomend http://www.uswinch.com

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh no [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img], not the dreaded Warn vs. Ramsey thread again! Do a search, you'll see we've been down this road a hundred times. I've had a Warn for 16 years.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 04:09 PM
WSB

I have great luck with my Ramsey Pro Plus 9000 and my buudy has had even better success with Ramsey winches. He has a REP12000 on the front of his FJ40 and a REP8000 on the rear. They might be a little slower than the Warn winches but they pull good every time.

I would buy another Ramsey over Warn anyday of the week, I don't see why Warn cost so much more that other brands of winches on the market. I can't see paying for a name just to make some fat cat CEO at Warn some extra $$.

Wayne

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 04:36 PM
Veteran

utahjeepr,
i have a warn hs9500i. i haven't got to use it too much yet, but so far i have no complaints. i do have a question about cable. i read a report somewhere on here about the cable being under-rated and snapping. do you know anything about that? just curious. oh...and buy a warn...i did.

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode