engine noise interference on the radio? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

engine noise interference on the radio?

there is a kind of popping noise that comes over the radio. it definitely changes with engine rpm. so i changed the condenser right by the coil (TR upgraded) that didn't help. so i bought an in-line condenser that hooks directly to the radio power supply, and then it seemed even worse. so i thought that the radio was just bad and figured i'd replace it, but last night i was listening to my walkman while driving and i could hear it there too. i never did that before so i don't know if it is normal, but i don't think that it should be. any suggestions?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:45 PM

Re: engine noise interference on the radio?

bargain spark plug wires can give you that noise. you might try the noise supressing wires.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

i bought the best 8mm wires they had at napa.....so i doubt it is them.

shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 04:49 PM
Old Hand

Normally interferance with your radio is either a bad/loose ground to the radio or your power wire is too close to the speaker wires. If it's just a stereo with a couple speakers, no amplifier or anything, I would say check the ground. But, you're walkman gets interferance too? You are talking about a walkman that is in no way hooked to the Jeep right? If so then I haven't got a clue.
Adam

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 05:28 PM
Pooh-Bah

Typically what people consider motor noise is the high pitched whine that fluctuates with motor rpm. These noises are usually (over 75% of the time) caused by a ground problem. Whether the problem be at the radio, antenna mount, vehicle ground plane, etc.
The other motor noise which mainly is noticeable with cassette tapes is a popping noise that fluctuates with rpm. This type of noise is normally caused by non-resistor plug wires, bad wire, ignition wires ran by radio (Ford trucks are notorious for this). This second type of noise is actually easier to troubleshoot by taking your walkman and listening to it while moving it around under the dash or under hood. When you get close to the source it will get louder. In my twelve plus years of doing custom install, noise problems are the most time consumign and most expensive, and almost always turned out to be ground problems in the system, vehicle or both.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

so now i stared to notice smoke coming from my stearing column. the turn signal switch hasn't worked correctly for months, so i don't know if that is the problem or not. also the volt meter is indicating between 14- 15 volts, it used to run around 13. don't know if this would be related or not.....

thanks all,
shawn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode