Length of Buggy Springs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Length of Buggy Springs?

I've been considering what sort of other modification to make to the rear of the FarmJeep's suspension...i.e. use buggy springs, revolvers, extendable shackles, some combination thereof, etc...and I think I've decided on using buggy springs--with a mechanism so I can pin them up tight against the frame for on-road driving. Anyone have a suggestion on an appropriate length for the spring?

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Length of Buggy Springs?

BTT

I Jeep, therefore I am.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 11:45 AM
Pooh-Bah

From waht I have read in some write-ups, it seems people are running them anywhere form 12" to 24" long, so maybe go 18"? My front M.O.R.E.'s are about 12" any very stiff and will only pull away about 2" max. The longer and more supple, the more they will pull away.
For holding them I run a long square u-joint around the frame and hold them tight when not needed. The other trick is to drill another hole in the buggy spring with a bolt going down thru, washer and nut it when not needed. I have looked at mine lately and thought of making a steel plate on either side that extends down far enough I could drill a hole in both plates and run a pin across holding in place.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I was considering doing the second thing you had suggested...it seems like it would help with lateral stability when the buggies are not in use. What about the position of the end of the buggy relative to the old shackle mount? Same location, a bit further forward or further aft? With the curve in the frame starting not that much ahead of the old shackle mount, it would be far easier to engineer the mount for the buggy so that it ended a few inches further back...but that would angle the shackle, and I'm not sure what effect it would have on travel. Any ideas?

I Jeep, therefore I am.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 12:27 PM
Pooh-Bah

On my fronts I had the shackle angled backwards, and barely move the buggy leaf. I then moved the assembly forwards (adjustable mounting positions) so the shackle was straight up and down and actually get the leafs to pull away. You might want to look at the toyota site for 4rnrick (I think) rear setup he has done, he usually has some good pics.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode