78 CJ-7 Brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

78 CJ-7 Brakes

The local shop wanted $1663 to replace all rotors and drums and rebuild everything else. I checked online and I think I have no choice but to do it myself. Can anyone recommend a good place to get the manual or step by step instructions? I heard since the calipers have a soft boot that it is a difficult rebuild. Also, does anyone just sell the calipers already rebuilt? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
D

78 CJ-7 Golden Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 78 CJ-7 Brakes

Evaluate what you need. Take your drums and rotors to your local parts store and have them "miked" out---measured to see if they can be turned and reused. If need be, buy the rotors and drums.

Inspect all hydraulic parts for leaks. If the rear brakes are leaking, rebuild kits are a few bucks. Invest $10 in a brake cylinder hone and do it right. Hardware kits for the rear are only $15 or so...that includes all springs, clips etc. New adjusters are probably around $5/ea. Try soaking the old ones overnight in penetrating oil before you write 'em off.

New shoes for the rear...maybe $30 for a good set? There are several different widths available, match up your old with new.

If the calipers aren't leaking or binding, don't replace 'em. Just throw new pads on and lightly lubricate those areas that rub. If they are leaking, get a set of "loaded calipers" from the parts store...that will be calipers with brake pads already installed. That really oughta cover it.

As far as install goes, do 'em one side at a time, so you have a guide to go off of. A Chiltons manual will be of great assistance as well. Inspect the e-brake cables while you're in there...removing them and soaking them in penetrating oil if they're stuck might help. If they need replacement, the only place i know of is the jeep dealer.

If you don't want to do it yourself, go to a Sears, NTB, Midas, or somewhere else for a quote. I know Sears and NTB are $100/axle for basic brake jobs...and obviously more if rotors/etc are needed. But you'll learn and save by doing it yourself.

I Jeep, therefore I am.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 12:57 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I actually had to check to make sure you weren't the same person as the one on the link below. It's amazing how people want to rip you off.

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...view=&sb=&vc=1

You can get "loaded" and rebuilt calieprs through NAPA, probably the cheapest way.

Also, cehck Ebay on the manuals, from '77-'80 would be the same, and just doing a search I came up with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...206436&r=0&t=0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...292126&r=0&t=0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...348812&r=0&t=0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...367684&r=0&t=0

The '77 model year is going to be the closest to the '78 you have now. The '77 manual is one book, the '78 is 3 volumes, but they're smaller. I have never paid more than $50 for any manual I've gotten off Ebay, and that was for the '97 TJ manual. Most of them I get for around $30, just fyi.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Guys,
Thanks for the info! NAPA has the loaded calipers for $46 and rotors for $23. Big difference from these local thieves.
Thanks again,
D

78 CJ-7 Golden Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode