Something's wrong with me YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Something\'s wrong with me YJ

Something is up with my YJ. She smells like she's burning something, seems pretty hot, and when I come to stop lights, there seems to be some steam or smoke coming from the front. I'm a LITTLE over my oil change. Probably about 400 miles over. The oil level seems fine. The exhaust smells normal. This all seems like it's up front in the engine bay. I've popped the hood and smell it too. Any ideas on what's going on and what to do to track this down? I'm a little low on coolant from when I changed some hoses, but it doesn't smell like burning coolant. Smells like oil. Any ideas? Maybe I shoudl crawl underneath and see if any leaks are hitting maybe the exhaust. I did run her HARD at Sand Lake the other weekend. Thanks!

Now search friendly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Something\'s wrong with me YJ

Maybe an oil leak burning up on a manifold or engine block?

77 CJ-5 "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 02:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

double check that radiator, from my experience, yj's have had problems with small cracks, or if the smoke is oil smoke, valve cover, oil drips onto exhaust manifold. You should be able to spot the oil. anything lower than that won't smoke

If you don't think it will work, find a way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The smell will give it away James. Coolant doesn't burn, it just steams and that steam smells exactly like liquid coolant.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 07:16 PM
Way Outta Control

If there are pinholes in the radiator:

a. the holes will leak.
b. the fluid will be shot out into the fan.
c. the fan will further disperse the liquid into smaller droplets.

It can be might hard to see. Look on the radiator for signs of a leak. In the dark, lift the hood and take a flashlight and shine it down between the engine and fan, and the fan and the radiator. Often the fluid dropletts, though small, will reflect the light and you'll see what a appears to be a small "Fog"... If you do.. the radiator's leaking.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

The smoke/steam could be explained by the radiator leaking. But what about the smell. I know what coolant smells like. This smells more like oil. So I'm hoping it's just a simple leak or something. I know my timing cover is leaking, and so is the pan, and so is the rear main So I should probably fix those someday. What's involded in each one of those? Thanks!

Now search friendly!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the oil pan and the rear main go hand in hand. pull the pan, take off the back main bearing cap, just make sure you use a soft punch to knock the top half of the rear main out.

If you don't think it will work, find a way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode