Stock backspacing? My tires rub, HELP! No more war - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stock backspacing? My tires rub, HELP! No more war

Help me! I am trying to get my mind off the terrorist nightmare.

anyone know what the stock wheels were like that could have come on my 83' CJ-5 ? I am trying to figure out if my center line is off with the wheels I have now. I have new 33 x 12.5 x 15 BFG MT on 8" steel wheels that have 4" of backspacing. They rub driving on the street with 2.5" lift springs.

I was thinking of getting some new 8" wheels with 3" or 3 and 1/2 " backspacing. Is that going to cause horrible steering / ride problems?

I know it is bad to think of such simple things with so many people dying... but hey, I got to fix my jeep, if it is the last thing I do!

-carl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 01:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stock backspacing? My tires rub, HELP! No more war

I know how you feel Carl. I think stock wheels had 3 3/4" backspacing. That was also the offset i was going to go with until i remembered i had narrow track axles. Now im going with a set of 15x8's with 3 1/4" backspacing running 33x12.5 MT/R's. If worse comes to worse go down to your locl 4x shop and pick thier brains. Hope this helps and may God have mercy on the souls of whoever commited this horrible act of terrorism when we come to collect our revenge.

77 CJ-5 "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 08:10 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, stock backspacing is 3.75" or 4", and to get anything less you'd have to order custom rims.

You could try some wheel spacers in the front only or do like I did and cut the center section out and move it back. I'm running the stock backspacing in the rear and 2" in the front so I can turn the Swampers and they won't hit the springs.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 09:43 AM
Pooh-Bah

I had 15x10's with 4" of backspacing my CJ5 w/narrowtracks, the 35x12.50's would rub the fenderwells under twisting, but not when just driving. I couldn't find a black steel rock crawler with less than 4" of backspace unless they were custom. I eneded up buying a set of 15x10's with 2.5" of backspacing from a company that deals mainly with Samuri's. I was able to get the black steel rock crawler style, custom backspace, and beadlock for not mutch more than a custom offset itself.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/wheels.htm

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode