NV5600 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NV5600

Anyone over heard of this tranny and know how well it is? I was seeing an add and says it is a 6 speed. Is this just the one better of the 4500?? And what is the length difference compared to the 4500?? My jeep is always looking for a lower rpm on the highway

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 10:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: NV5600

A NV-4500 is about 200 lbs.

A NV-5600 is about 500 lbs. That is heavier than your engine!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.newventuregear.com/transmissions.html

Minuses(this is compared to the Dodge NV4500)....It is longer. It is heavier. Only .02 lower 1st gear. Only .02 higher OD.

Pluses(again, compared to the Dodge NV4500)....It can handle more power. The gear ratios are much closer, which will allow better shifting. It has a lower reverse ratio.

It actually only weighs around 160 lbs. more than the NV4500. Does anyone know of anyone that swapped one in? Not that it can't be done, but I don't want to be the first.

If you are dead set on getting the end all, beat all tranny. Look into the Clark. There are many different versions, though so be warned. Strong as an Ox. Super low first. And an overdrive to boot. There is a company in MS that adapts them into Jeeps. They are heavy though. You will have to fab a new transmission tunnel in the tub. Only one version comes with both a granny low and OD.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not firmly set on it was just wondering the specifics and why someone else might not of done it earlier. I would also hate to see the cost of the big boy that is for sure. My T-4 is holding up surprisingly behind my Chevy 305 but i know it is only a matter of time before it goes and I want a overdrive on the new tranny i get what ever it is.

If I were to get a NV4500 could i just move the engine mounts forward to negate the added length of the tranny? I have about four or five full inches from the fan and the radiator so I coul spare an inch or two easily before i even have to think about contact issues. Thanks guys.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In my opinion a NV5600 is overkill. Even my NV4500 in my YJ is overkill. It is actually an easier swap than most people think. Of course, I don't think swapping is that hard, if you have the right tools and equipment.

Yes, you can always move the engine forward, if you have room, and it will give you more rear driveshaft length.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 12:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My 2001 Dodge HO (High Output) Turbo Diesel has the 5600. Seems to be a good shifting tranny. I shift a lot with 4.10s but I don't mind. It looks like a big muther to put in a jeep but I must admit I have thought about it. That Dana 80 rear makes me drool too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode