installing add-a-leaf kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:58 PM
Joker2002

installing add-a-leaf kit

Hey, I'm seriously thinking of buying an add-a-leaf kit for the front and rear of my YJ and I was wondering if I would be able to install it with tools found around the garage (sockets, ratchets, air-tools, etc.). I'm not a welder and have no welding equipment. Welding isn't necessary is it?

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: installing add-a-leaf kit

No welding necessary. You unbolt your springs from the axles and frame, partially disassemble them, add the add-a-leaf, and bolt everything back together. Now since you are looking at 3-4" of lift with the combination you are getting don't forget to add the cost of longer shocks and brake lines. You will need them, no two ways about it. Lift kits of 2-2.5" require both and you're looking at more lift than that. Just making sure you're aware of all the costs since you want to stay on the cheap.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 12:45 AM
Joker2002

Yeah, I am aware. I'm hoping to be able to catch the 4 for 2 deal on shocks and then maybe find some longer brake lines at a wrecker yard somewhere. I also have a friend that knows how to make homemade body lifts for about $5. True, if you put all this together it's going to end up a jury-rigged Jeep, but it'll do for now until I can get something all-out. I'll probably just go ahead and buy the body lift though.

Also, how long are extended brake lines? If I wanted to find some old ones, would I just have to find some off an old YJ that are long enough or are there other vehicles that are compatible?

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 01:04 AM
utahjeepr

NAPA or any other GOOD parts house can make you some OEM type brake lines pretty cheap.

My other car is a bulldozer!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 01:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think there are also some other applications that would work as extended brake lines for you, maybe a blazer or something, do a search or post a message. I am not sure anyone would recommend brake lines from a junk yard, brakes are one thing you really don't want to cut corners on.
David

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 06:00 AM

here's a link to a page about add-a-leaf installation i did http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/addleaf.html

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 08:42 AM

Forget about the wrecking yard brake lines, your life depends on them as well as others. Yeah you might find a good set there but you never can tell by looking. Try Napa or a good parts house. The guys there may take the time to go through the books with you to find a cross over set. I know some Chevrolet brake lines are a straight across change out but don't know the part numbers. Check this board for them they have been posted several times. Do a search under brake line or extended brake lines. You should get what you are looking for.
GP'n

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 09:57 AM
Joker2002

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice. I stopped by NAPA and although they couldn't give me an exact price, they suggested just going ahead and buying stainless steel braided brake lines. They thought they would be about the same price, if not cheaper, than the ones I could buy from NAPA, and also more durable.

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 05:55 PM
Joker2002

One more thing. The only company I can find that makes add-a-leaf kits is Rancho. They are the only one that adverise add-a-leaf kits in 4WD Magazine. Do you guys know of any other good add-a-leaf brands that would give me about 3" of lift on my YJ with a rear-leaf CJ kit?

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing I don't think anyone told you yet, your Jeep is gonna ride like major SH!T and have no articulation with an add a leaf kit. I drove my CJ that way for a couple years, don't waste your money, save it to put towards a suspension kit.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode