nv4500 still shifts hard - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

nv4500 still shifts hard

My new tranny is still hard to shift. It's hard to shift even with the jeep off and the clutch in. I bled the clutch again and adjusted the linkage until the clutch has to be about 1/2 way out before it engages and it is still hard. If I have it running and put it in 4th first, then the other gears start to go in easier. But, if I let the clutch out in N again, push it in, and go for 1st or 2nd, it doesn't want to go. Anybody got any ideas?

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 12:37 AM
utahjeepr

Re: nv4500 still shifts hard

I don't recall, was this a brand new assembly? Sounds like maybe the shifter assembly is tight (fresh) or binding (used). Or more likely the synchros are not working well. Have you tried driving and shifting without the clutch. If you have never done it before, you might want to find someone who drives truck and have them try it. My guess would be that the synchros/shift collars are not sliding together smoothly for some reason.

If the tranny is brand new, a little rpm shifting without the clutch usually smooths things up pretty quick.

My other car is a bulldozer!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 01:14 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

...or you could just swap me for my T18![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

hehe, nice try extinctjeep. Yes, it is a brand new tranny. It does feel like it's in a bind. The base of the shifter makes a pop sound when it does go into a gear, but once it's in one it doesn't do it anymore if you take it in and out of gear. And it doesn't ever make any grinding noise or anything in the transmission, maybe it just needs some break in time?

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 11:14 AM

Hey, glad to hear that you finally got it in! I had that exact problem with mine for the first week or so. I had to readjust the clutch 2-3 times in the first month (keep in mind I have a mechanical linkage/clutch).

It would be real hard to get into 1st gear, a little less in second, and not at all in 3rd. I could put it into 3rd, and then go to 1st with no problems what so-ever.

Basically, I had to move the clutch adjuster out (like you would if the clutch were wearing) by 3-4 turns per adjustment. Not sure how you do that with a hydro clutch, but I'm sure there is an analogous adjustment.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks for the info bluseman. I can use some tips from those that have worked with this tranny before. I have been playing with it and driving it around a little, close to home, and it is starting to get better. I orderded my rear driveshaft Monday, so I'll soon be able to put it back into 2 wheel and see how it drives then. Between the tranny, lift, and being in 4 hi front wheel drive, it's hard to tell what's working right and what's not. It's getting close though![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Later
Adam

BIGJEEPTJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 10:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

Tight piliot bushing?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

How strange. I did the bending on the shifter tonight and it shifts almost perfectly now. 5th is still stiff. I'm not sure, but I think the heat loosened some stuff up. It took a lot of bending to get back to the factory opening and not hit anywhere through all gears. It looks stock again, except for the 4x4 shifter which I still have some work to do on that linkage. I wish I had a good camera to do a write up on it all. The one I have has no flash, so the pictures are only good if it's REAL bright out. Just a little update.
Later
Adam

BIGJEEPTJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode