Dana 44 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:31 PM
Bill4x4

Dana 44

Is there any draw backs to having a Dana 44 built up for the front with a rear end center section. It would have new tubes ect. U bolts would be the same. I found a place that does that but I've never heard of it before.

Thanks Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:07 PM
utahjeepr

Re: Dana 44

Shouldn't be a problem so long as they keep it in the proper orientation. In other words, they can't flip it upside down and make a reverse cut out of it. Otherwise it should be fine funtion wise. Might be offset a little far though, how do they do the spring mount which is usually sunk into the casting a little in front applications. Are you going to have to outboard the springs?

My other car is a bulldozer!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it'll work fine but i would imagine it would be cheaper to either find one that is already the right width or cut one down to your needs rater than going through all that. you have to get one to get the tubes, knuckles, etc from anyway. just start with a front d44.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 09:18 AM
Nickmil

There is nothing wrong with using a rear center section in the front. In fact it can be a real asset because it gives you more room to put the spring pad where you need it WITHOUT outboarding the springs. It also is more flexible for setting pinion angle than a front diff with all that casting crap hanging off of it. If you look at a rear pumpkin and compare it to a front 44 you will see that the outside of the rear 44 is a lot narrower than the front because of all that casting they build in for the front spring mount which allows you to move the spring mount in closer to the pumpkin and also to put it on top or bottom plus orient the pinion angle where you need it. Plus, it looks a lot cleaner. I've done this with two of my Jeeps and was much happier than the one I used a front diff from. It also allowed me to keep the housing centered in the Jeep and move the pumpkin away from the oil pan and kept my driveline from interfering with things like starters, bellhousings, oil pans, etc. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode