Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   THOR Soundwedges? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/86611-thor-soundwedges.html)

billTJ 09-10-2001 03:34 PM

THOR Soundwedges?

Anybody used these? I was looking at putting the in my TJ, and placing a set of pioneer 6.5 inch components in them.

Any comments regarding sound, fit, safety?

Thanks!

bill

**DONOTDELETE** 09-10-2001 04:47 PM

Re: THOR Soundwedges?

They fit great in my YJ.

Safety...they can still be stolen out of an open top jeep.

Sound...You will never get anything to sound good in an open top vehicle without spending major amounts of cash.

I would honestly not spend the money on them again. Not that they are a bad product, you just can't hear them from that location. I would just stick with the stock front speakers(maybe upgrade those). If I just had to upgrade the rear ones(if you have them stock) then I would look into on of those overhead type or seats with speakers built in(you can get them from the junkyard out of Fieros).

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...mallemboss.JPG

billTJ 09-10-2001 05:13 PM

Would you still say that they're better than nothing in the rear?

As for security, do they at least bolt into place?

bill

**DONOTDELETE** 09-10-2001 05:52 PM

I would have to argue with the last post.

I grew up in Washington DC and I used to park everyday in a pretty bad neighborhood with no problems. Again I have the YJ sound wedges. The do add a lot of Lower Mid-Range sound but even the best 6x9 won't give you much base. For Base I got a Hollywood Subwoofer and put it in my Insta-Trunk. It just about a perfect fit in the trunk with 2 Amps (one for all the speakers and one for the sub-woofer.) I totally disconnected the sound bar speakers and I am really happy with the setup. However... if you are riding around with the top down there is no way to get good sound while you are driving fast. I learned this the hard way when I was younger by burning up my first subwoofer on the Highway.

In total this is my setup. Nice Removable face Sony CD player with EMS (never skips even on dirt roads or even at steep angles.) But I don't ever use the CD player off-road because: I need to concentrate sometimes, usually have someone in the car I can talk to, and itís hard listening to the CB and the tunes at the same time. Plus, I have the Amps and Subwoofer in a Quick Release setup. So I usually remove the AMP's and Sub-woofer during off-road trips so that if the trunk floods I won't lose my system.

I have been really happy with this setup; however, I usually have the hard top on or the soft-top. I have not left my Wrangler out in a big rainstorm, but the system has dealt with plenty of morning dew and sprinklings. I have had one 6x9 speaker stolen out of my Jeep when the soft-top and soft doors were on. But they did not take the Sound wedges because they were bolted in. So now I just use Allen screws to make it harder to take.

-Hays

Moss Green '94 YJ
4.0L 5sp.-manual.
2.5 Old Man Emu
32x11.50 BFGMud

JeepTJ1062 09-10-2001 10:20 PM

I have the stock sound bar and dash speakers in my TJ. For me its perfect. Sometimes I wish I had some bass and think about spendin the money on gettin a bazooka tube for the insta trunk but I say to myself, $300, I could get something for the CJ with that money, screw the bass. Plus I never put my top on either Jeep except for November-February so the Jeeps get pretty wet at times, the Cj is just the trail Jeep, hell the radio doens't even work in it.

<font color=blue>97 TJ 4" Superlift, 33x9.5 BFG
79 CJ-5 2.5" Procomp, 32" Swamper TSL/SX, Summit Racing seats, homemade bumper and rocker guards, Lock Right up front</font color=blue>

jjh40 09-11-2001 07:20 AM

6-1/2's will fit in the stock sound bar. Your originals are 5-1/4's. The bigger speakers will fit without modification. I bought pioneers from best buy for around $60, I can hear them at highway speeds with the top off. I also replaced the dash speakers with some blaupunkt's from Krutchfield. I would reccomend buying your front speakers from them. You might pay a little more, but it is well worth it, because they supply you with the special brackets to mount them. They through in the wiring harness adaptor too so you don't have to cut anything.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!