Which tires would you get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Which tires would you get?

What I want is your opinion on tires. Something mainly for dirt/rock crawling that does well in mud/snow up to 10" deep as well. And they need to be available in 32x11.50R15 or 33x12.50R15. Thanks in advance for the help!

Not something strictly off-road (like boggers) as they will be on my daily driver until I get a new truck. Under $175 per tire is a must. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:38 PM
JimD

Re: Which tires would you get?

I like my goodyear mtr,s, Not to much road noise and they work great in the rocks. I have not had them in the mud yet. They were on sale at sears for 147.00 each.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'd have to say the MT/R or the BFG MT/KM, can't go wrong with either tire.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

So the MT/R's are good snow tires as well as great for rocks? Snow is a big concern as I will be driving this truck in the winter so I don't risk tearing up the new truck. I had a friend recommend the new MT Baja Claws for my application, how good would they be? Or maybe Thornbirds??

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 04:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ahh thornbirds I really like thronbirds.

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 04:39 PM

I like the BFG MT's they are excellent in mud, snow, and rocks. They last good on the road, (in a light Jeep). You may have to put up with a little road noise but they work very well. Thornbirds don't last very long on the highway, at least the guys around here tell me that. and from the write ups in the mags the claws have a not so good side slope holding ability. This is just my opinion and observations.
GP'n

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how do BFG muds do on the highway?

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 05:18 PM

I have a client in the school bus business. Last year, one of their drivers wanted better tires for the snow. They gave her a set of GY MT/R's. That's up here in Canada, and we had a lot of snow in this area last year.

Take it for what its worth

Rob

"Anyone perfect must be lying.
Anything easy has its cost."
Barenaked Ladies
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:28 PM

If you are woried about winter driving get the eintire tire or just the center section siped, that will also allow better wet traction. Both tires seem to be well liked (mtr, bfg km) The generals are also pretty cheep and do well off road. Always get a set of 5 so you have a spare tires, driving off the trail w/ 3 33's and a 27" tires isn't easy or safe.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm sorry, could you explain the term "siped"??? I love to run around off-road, but its just a hobby and I don't know a lot of the terminology like you big dogs do.

Also, has anyone tried Pirelli Scorpion AT's? That's what I have on right now (31x10.50R15) and they do ok. I want something more aggressive for my next tire, but I'd recommend them for something like your wife's Expedition or something that won't ever see the really "rough stuff". Just a little off topic there.

So i'm torn between the BFG's and the Goodyears at this point. Any info that will help me make that final decision? Either one better on the road (since this is also a daily driver), holds up better w/ low PSI for mudding, etc.? Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

Oh yeah, and is Sears a good place to get both of these tires, thats where I got the Pirelli's and they had great sale prices. FYI, they're going on a '93 Isuzu Amigo w/ a 2" susp. lift. No one was helping me in the Isuzu section, so I figured the smaller Jeeps are the closest thing to what i've got. Glad I gave it a try, you Jeep boys really seem to know your stuff!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode