Check out this dudes TJ-8 with 40" treads - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:11 AM

Re: Check out this dudes TJ-8 with 40\" treads

Wow.... I will have to agree any hard use and it will need some/lots of drivetrain upgrades.. but wow.. excellent craftsman.. It took a lot of guts to start ripping the body and frame of that brand new TJ apart! Wouldn't it be nice if we could go to a dealership and buy a brand new TJ-8/Scrambler..Daimler/Chrysler.. are you reading this?

"It's not ugly! It just has a lot of "Character"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:46 AM

I fully agree with Jay on this one. The guy DOES admit that he doesn't know anything about wheeling, and from all accounts he's a really cool guy. His fabrication skills are quite obviously superior. My only purpose here (and I hope he reads this some-day) is to point out that these modifications just don't FIT. If you are going to spend the time/money to purpose build something like this, for heaven's sake, spend a little time/money to RESEARCH what you are getting into and don't design/build in a vacuum. There are a LOT of people out there who would be happy to assist with solving some of the problems this guy will have, and save tons of money/heartache.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:57 AM
WSB

I do like the whole idea of a Longer TJ! The bodywork to the body and hardtop look really sweet. He would have been better off with a 4-6" suspension lift with some 35's or 36's IMHO. I would have also lengthened the wheelbase more.

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 10:33 AM
Can't Get Enough

At least he did lengthen it 5". The fact he has a TJ off road at all indicates more may be coming. Give the guy a break. Most TJ's are used just like the minivan, except with style.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to give the guy some credit for taking a brand new TJ and cutting it in half to make what he wants I wouldn't do it.And I think that he'll learn what he should change in his suspension and steering.
He also might have not taken it wheeling again during the time he was there because maybe he felt he was in over his head as far as driving experiance goes and needs more time and some easier trails to gain the experiance that he needs.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

as with everyone else, I give him credit for the balls it took to start cutting that thing. And I like the idea of a TJ scrambler kinda thing, i think it's cool. now how he went about sitting those tires i don't necessarily agree with, and just "cutting and bending things to make them fit" really irks me. He's a good craftsman, but he will realize soon that he needs bigger axles, gears and what not. I also hope he didn't cut a brand new one, at least he could've gotten a '97 that need work or something, or a new rear end, and do that with no worries. Or if he was serious about it, he could get a '97 4 cylinder, with nothing, and start modifying that, prolly be cheaper. a nice 350 under the hood, a 4 or 6 inch suspension underneath, some flares, winch, lights, and I would really like it. Also, that death trap on wheels he's got in there has no rollbar as far as I can see. I seriously hope he's guessing that top speed, and hasn't tested it, because if that thing got that fast, it very well could get airborn, and he'd be dead. I don't even think a roll cage would help him at that speed. man, and lowering a vette? I am jealous of this dudes money, and crafting skills (If it was him doing it) but the way he goes about things, and lack of knowledge there of just leaves me with "Why?"

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

extra points to who can guess where that windshield on top gun crash and burn came from?

'01TJeff

post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 04:22 PM
Old Hand

The cool thing about it is the low center of gravity, as well as the unique look. The bad thing is the lack of flex, as well as stock drivetrain (he did re-gear the axles though, so I heard from the jeep-L)

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dodge daytona rear window

'01TJeff

post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you look closely, that new bed he built just overlaps the original metal. and it's capped off by the door opening with another strip. metal on metal contact? rust?

'01TJeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode