Oil pressure problem (Hey Stupid) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Oil pressure problem (Hey Stupid)

Ignorant is a better term. Here I was trying to find out why I didnít have oil pressure after rebuilding an F-head motor. I pulled out my hair, asked everyone what could be the problem including posting a message here in SWB and the bottom line wasÖÖÖ. I hooked up the oil pressure gauge were I should have installed the oil tube from the block to the head. Unless you have seen an F-head motor and know that the oil gets to the head externally via an external oil line you wouldnít understand and the one who know are now laughing there a$$ís off...

So, just for a little history. I pulled the engine back in March, took everything to the shop and didnít get it back until July and then I still needed to order parts to complete it. I never remember anything from when I disassembled the motor, so I didnít remember the oil tube when I assembled the motor. I installed the oil filter bypass tube where I should have installed the tube and since the line was a longer custom steel braded line I never thought I installed it in the wrong place.

Just to make sure I didnít do anything wrong during assembly, I pulled the timing gears and the mount plate just to check for the plug, pulled the oil pump and oil pan. Hell I would have pulled the clutch if I thought that could be the problem. The thing that gave me the clue was that I had another spare block and head that I was using to track down the oil passages and I couldnít find the passageway from the block to the head and then I remembered the brake line looking tube setting in the parts box. (Hey stupid, extra part belong somewhere). I then kicked myself in the a$$, opened a CFO (Cold Frosty One) and just sat there. I killed the beer, installed the lines in the right places and BAMÖoil pressure... Lots of pressure... 55 PSI (that I always had) and thatís when I called myself... Stupid...

The bottom line is Iím doing all this to get a 1963 CJ5 back to like for my wifeís uncle. Iíve had this thing setting in the back yard for 2 years and Iím not charging him a dime for all my labor. It just one of those Jeep thingsÖ For an old retired Navy pilot so he can drive his Jeep around his ranch.

So now thereís another Jeep back from the graveyard to once again play on the hills and streambeds where it belongs.

78 CJ7 304V8 Fully locked. Got Rocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode