Anyone make their own center console - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone make their own center console

I'm looking at center consoles, and I really like the Tuffy ones...but $200+ is a bit out of the budget. I'm wondering if anyone has built their own...And if you have, have you any suggestions? Pics? Plans? Would've-done-it-differentlys?

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone make their own center console

i made a tuffy! i used a large ammo can. it is weather tight, just the right hight for an arm rest, and i can lock it. the large ammo cans have a latch at each end and not a hinge so i cut the latch off one end and welded a beefy door hinge ( modified of coarse). i left the latch on the front side and welded a hasp loop on so that when the latch is closes the hasp loop passes through the center grove in the latch. i can throw a lock on it and go. i havn't figured out cup holders yet but i think i am goint to make a cb mount/cup holder deal that will mount infront of it. it was cheap and easy and has LOTS of room for winch remote, leather gloves, pressure guage, and that just covers the bottom. like i said lots of room.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The ammo can Brian is talking about is a "20 mm can". They are great for holding gear and make great consoles! I splurged for the Tuffy, but I wanted a more "finished" looking interior. My ammo cans are on an angle iron rack that bolts in behind the back seat though. I just made an angle iron "rectangle" that the .50 cal cans would fit into and drilled bolted the cans to it. It will attach to the tub with four 7/16" bolts so it is secure and this way it is easily removeable when I need the cargo space for other stuff. Ammo cans RULE!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, i like the tuffy but i didn't want to spend that kind of $$$ for one. as for the "finished" interior...well mine usually looks like someone just "finished" dumping a load of mud on the inside so the ammo can was just up my ally.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dunno, I guess I'm going for a more finished look as well. And as a side note (duh) I forgot to mention that I'm thinking of relocating the radio to the center console rather than having it reside in the dash. Someone's got some info for me...

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 10:26 AM

I made my center console out of an ammo box, and at least I THINK it looks "finished"...check out the link here and let me know what you think...
http://www.cableone.net/wdohrn/recentprojects.htm

Edit:The pictures are not of the highest quality...sorry.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://www.cableone.net/wdohrn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 01:09 PM
Pog

I have a box in the back which I keep my tools and nessicities in and it adds the nice classic look. I think it is a granade box it is just long enough to fit across the back and still leave in the rear seat. Maybe I will cover it with leather to give it a finished look!
(yea right)

Ride 'N' High
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

High5 and Dan 84 CJ-7,

How did you mount the ammo can to the floor? The reason I ask is because of the way the floor is curved. Do you have anymore pics? I would really like a pic of the hinge.

Justin,
1980 CJ-5 (Mine)
1972 Jeep Commando (My Dad's)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 04:18 PM
Old Hand

High5 and Dan, where did you get the hinge? looks like it needs to be bent? what kind of hinge is it? any more hinge info would be good ! thanks

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 05:19 PM

To mount mine to the floor, I used a riser from an older console (Steel Horse) in the back and bolted the front directly through the floor of the trans hump.

The hinge is hard to explain. Let me try a picture...
I didn't add a hinge to mine, I used the existing hardware on the ammo can to "make" a hinge. The circled stuff was removed, and the outlined rod or bar was left in place and tack welded to the body of the ammo can. Since the rod goes through the lid, it is basically already set up to be a hinge, it just needs to be securly and permanently attached to the body (welded). I just did that to one end and left the latching mechanism on the other.

I hope that makes sense and the picture comes through...

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://www.cableone.net/wdohrn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-537888-console4Mod.jpg (18.9 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode