Anyone make their own center console - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:36 PM
Old Hand

Re: Anyone make their own center console

Dan, did you also take off the lip piece on the ammo can (not on the top)? it looks like you would at least need to cut the upper lip off for the top to swing backwards.

I attached a picture outlining the piece I'm talking about.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-537964-consoleq.jpg (40.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:49 PM

Yes I did cut the lip off. Sorry, It's been a while since I made it and I forgot about that part.
I also forgot to mention that I bolted a limiting strap to the insdie of the lid and the ammo case to prevent it from opening more than about 110 degree angle.
I also bolted a little loop thingy that sticks out through the large clasp on the front, so when it has a padlock on it it is impossible to open up.
Overall, I think it is pretty secure, water tight and large enough to fit most stuff in.
And I forgot to mention CHEAP!! The most expensive part was the Hammerite I painted it with.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://www.cableone.net/wdohrn
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 01:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just cut the upper part of the lip off (where it makes the "L" shape) and then the hing is welded to that bracket thingy (hard to explain with out a pic) . as for the hing i had a steel door (industrial style) with a beefy stainless hing and i welded it on and cut the overhangs off. it works great. as for mouning it i havn't yet. the jeep is still in the motor swap stage and i am waiting to get it going so i can tell for sure where my shifters will be and then install it so it doesn't interfere.. i decided to build this while i had it down. my old steelhorse console is a pos. mine is exactly the same box like the one in the pictures. my jeep is a cj5 so it will bolt down to the rear bed portion of the floor and then again up on the hump. i'll probably use two bolts in the back (flat part) and one in the center in the front. with the rear of the box sitting on the flat and bolted down it will sit level and stady. also i like the little strap he used to keep the lid from swinging open all the way. i might have to copy that! i took the handle's off the box because they looked like someing to rattle.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It looks like you can weld so just make your own. I copied the general shape of the tuffy for mine put adjusted the sizes to fit my alarm and amp. If you can weld and have a mig then the skies the limit on what you can do. Jim C

post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why make one?
wal mart sells a light weight but sturdy imitation of the ones in the Q-tech catalogue for $25
mount it correctly and it works well and has the finished look
check it out
bob

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 83 CJ-7 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> IF YOU AREN'T LIVIN' ON THE EDGE YOU'RE TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM! </font color=red>

<font color=blue> Quitcher Whinin' </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode