CJ add-a-leaf on YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:46 PM
Joker2002

CJ add-a-leaf on YJ

Earlier, somebody suggested that a relatively cheap way for me to get some lift would be to put a CJ add-a-leaf kit on my YJ. Why would I use a CJ add-a-leaf kit? Would it give me more lift than a YJ add-a-leaf kit? Are the CJ leaves thicker or stiffer or something? Also, it says that a transfer case lowering kit is recommended. Is it easy enough to just make something on my own or should I buy the $30 kit? (Isn't a lowering kit just spacers that go between the frame and skidplate?)

I plan on also adding a 1 or 1.25" shackle lift (is $54 for a brand new 1.25" shackle lift a good deal?) and a 1 or 2" body lift. Along with the add-a-leaf, should this be enough lift to clear 33s? I don't have a winch or anything heavy mounted on my Jeep either, besides some big chrome tubular bumpers.

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ add-a-leaf on YJ

I don't know why someone would suggest that, CJ leaves are narrower in front.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:33 PM
Joker2002

So it would be better to go with the YJ add a leaf kit? He indicated that with a CJ add a leaf I could get up to 3" of lift.

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:09 AM

Isnt the front axle on the YJs offset from the center of the spring?

85 cj7 4inches, 33's, working on an engine swap...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can get longer bolts and make spacers to lower your transfer case for probably 5 bucks....don't buy the kit. I don't think CJ springs will work on the YJ. The shackle price is good if their greasable shackles...otherwise JC Whitney has regular extended ones for 20.00 a pair.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 07:59 AM

I think the post that suggested the use of CJ add a leaves, stated to use the rear add a leaves in both front and rear of the YJ. This will work but I would prefere to use the YJ add a leaf set up myself if I were to use them.
GP,n

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 08:50 AM
Joker2002

Ok, I went and checked closely what the guy had originally suggested, and he said I should put 2 CJ REAR add-a-leaf kits on both the front and rear of my YJ. Would putting the rear kits on the front and back be ok, or should I still just go with a YJ add-a-leaf? Just out of curiosity, what is different about the CJ and YJ leaves that would make him suggest the CJs? Do you think they'd give me more lift?

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

from what i've learned on this board I think the YJ's are softer which is why their often used on SOA's for better flex and tracking....so my guess is yes the CJ's are probably stiffer and will hold you up higher...which in some ..ahem.. situations is a good thing

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 09:30 AM
utahjeepr

CJ springs have more arch than YJ springs, using CJ rear add-a-leafs which get 1-1/2 to 2 inches on a CJ will get you 2-1/2 to 3 inches on a YJ. I have done this on a couple YJ's to get a friend a quick and cheap lift. It ain't the best way to do it, but it does work.

I have not needed to drop the t-case or go SYE with this set up. Both of the YJ's I did were manual trans, auto may be different. Don't know what you have.

BTW just in case there is some misunderstanding I did not mean to install 2 kits front and 2 kits rear. You need 2 CJ rear kits, one for the front and one for the rear of your YJ.

This will clear 33's on the street, but they will rub off-road. A body lift will give the added clearance for articulation. Longer shackles would also do it, but you will have to check driveline angle. I have never used longer shackles with this set up so I don't know.

Like I said, I have done this for friends as a quick/cheap solution. Usually this was done to get them up and wheelin' while they saved for a better lift kit and other upgrades. One friend in particular had enough money for a good lift or enough to do this add-a-leaf job and get a Lock-Rite for the rear. I have seen them run for over a year before being replaced and there were no problems related to the lift.

My other car is a bulldozer!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 01:38 PM
Carey

The reason for the difference is that CJ add-a-leafs are full length and YJ add-a-leafs are only the size of the shortest leaf. I have just put springs under my Jeepster after doing a lot of major fabrication and conversion. I have YJ springs with CJ add-a-leafs up front and YJ 2-1/2" lift springs in the rear. They measure out the same now when turned upside down on the garage floor. The YJ springs with CJ add-a-leafs are a lot stiffer than the YJ lift springs. That's why I put them up front for the added weight of the V-8 that will soon be installed.

Don't buy those cheap extended shackles they could cause you more problems by changing your pinion angles as well as being unsafe. Remember that if you have shackles that are 3" longer than stock they will only give you 1-1/2" of lift. By doing this they increase your chances of spring wrap which could lead to spring breakage. The add-a-leafs should give you enough to clear 31's, or maybe 32's, but you need 3-1/2" to clear 33's and my YJ still rubbed the rear fenders offroad.

If you are wanting to stay cheap then go with a 3" bodylift. It won't give you any extra clearance underneath like a suspension lift will but it will clear the tires and retain your stock ride and not need driveline modifications.

Carey Smith
71 (C101)Jeepster Commando
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Middle Tennessee Trail Runners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode