Motor shuts off when winching-now what is solution - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Motor shuts off when winching-now what is solution

Now that I know that there is a problem, what could it be and how do I fix it? Winch is connected directly to the batteries, the alternator has been checked and is good, and there is no corrosion on the battery terminals. Trying to determine if it is a winch problem, a grounding problem, or what?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your help so far.

Southern Jeep Nut
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:39 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Motor shuts off when winching-now what is solution

The other posters have described a problem in the cables or in the clamps and ground termination. The problem is a build of of corrosion. This build up is resistance to current flow. Power is expended going across the resistance and not delivered to the winch motor where you want the power to be used.

The easiest solution is to start at one end of a winch voltage supply cable and work toward the battery examining for:

1. Corroded cables (this can be under the insulation, hard to see!). Replace bad ones... don't re-use them.
2. Corroded clamps. Burnish them down with a battery post/terminal cleaner. Put dialectrict grease on the clamps.
3. Battery posts are bright and making good electrical contact with the cable clamps. Use dialelectric grease on the battery posts as well.

Then examine all the ground straps and wiring on the Jeep. The straps should be free of corrosion, and the termination points should be burnished brightly and secured, again using dialelectric grease to fight the corrosion.

Once these steps have been taken then the problem is isolated to the batteries of the alternator inability to provide enough power to the winch. If this happens, then engine RPM must be increased due to the increased electrical load sucking power at idle.

Does this make sense?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had this problem ever since I have had the winch, I just did not know that it was a problem. Now the winch is out of warranty and I am stuck with it. I do not have to use the winch very much(not bragging) so it took a while to relize. There is no corison anywhere, so I think it is something else.

Thank you for the info
Southern Jeep Nut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:01 PM
Way Outta Control

I think I'd mosey down to the local Auto Parts Store and borrow thier load tester and try the test with the winch engaged and not engaged. You may be able to tell the amperage of the load by doing this test.

IMHO, if the batteries are good, the electrical connections are good, and the alternator is good... then the problem is in one of these areas:

1. You've missed something in looking at the problem.
2. The winch motor is bad.
3. The alternator is not large enough to compensate for the load.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just a shot in the dark here...are we sure that the electrical connections to the coil and etc. are in good shape? Maybe when you put a big draw on, it exacerbates an existing problem with the other wiring?

As a side note, not to doubt you LEVE but I'm askin' cause I don't know...how could an alternator not putting out enough current cause the engine to die? I would think that even without an alternator, if the batteries and wiring are good, the motor would still run...until the batteries died.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:06 PM

Have you tried swapping out the battery or having it load tested? It's possible you've got a partially shorted cell or something causing the batter voltage to drop too much.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 11:20 PM
Way Outta Control

FarmJeep... Don't ever apoligize for doubting me. I'm pretty darn stupid at times and when I try to remotley diagnois a problem I'm often shooting in the dark. Remember, I've only got about a 35% sucess rate answering these questions correctly... but I do have a unique way of looking at problems which helps me to troubleshoot and solve some... the only skill I've ever had.

Even an electrical load on an engine can cause it to die at idle if the load is big enough.

A winch could qualify depending upon the state of the electrical system. That's the rub, it's difficult to diagnois the quality of the system remotely. A problem could be in the regulator pack, the alternator or anywhere between the batteries and the winch or the winch itself. The dual battery system could be strictly non-isolated parallel batteries which could cause all sorts of havoc. See what I mean? From my view here in Wisconsin I may not be getting all the information I need to accuratly diagnois.

A similiar stall occurance would be the drag put on an engine from engaging an A/C clutch. Though mechanical, the clutch drag forces the idle RPM lower. Modern computerized engines will make up for the drag by sensing the clutch engagement and increasing the RPM a predetermined amount. The older engines often had a way to mechanically increase the RPM, hence the idea of using the Sol-Vac solenoid to accomplish the task. As the Vacuum decreases with engine RPM, the solenoid would automatically disengage after being set.

An alternator can also produce mechanical drag if it cannot keep up with the load demanded by the supplied devices. As alternators have become larger over the years, and current demands have become (in total) smaller though the use of descrete devices the condition is rare.

The rarity of this condition necessates the notification. However, because it's rare, the problem is often overlooked and techs will chase their tails looking for a less exotic answer.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Still got the problem hey! After reading the things you have checked it is becoming more and more like the probem is in the winch motor. In days gone-by it was commen to have this happen when the starter was earthing out internally and sapping all the power from the battery and leaving nothing left for the ignition causing the engine to fail to start. You could try running the winch from a battery NOT connected to the vehicle electrical system.
Good luck this time.

Regards OZmrph( where the tennis players hail from!!!)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:27 PM
Addict

what about doing the standard continuity check on the winch motor? If you check + to - and show continuity then isn't the motor shorting out? I'm not an electrical or winch expert, but wouldn't this be a quick easy check to perform with out tearing out the wiring?
Jake

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 01:51 PM
Addict

what about doing the standard continuity check on the winch motor? If you check + to - and show continuity then isn't the motor shorting out? I'm not an electrical or winch expert, but wouldn't this be a quick easy check to perform with out tearing out the wiring?
Jake

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode