First Time the CJ`s Run in 3 Years , BUT... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

First Time the CJ`s Run in 3 Years , BUT...

I fired up my CJ5 for the first time in about 3 years today . Runs good BUT there are a few things concerning me . First issue , I had the distributor out one notch , fixed that . Runs great ! In fact with the 270 Comp Cam on that fresh 304 , man that thing screams !!! I took it down the road a ways and am just barking the tires everywhere . I just love it !!!
Ok , back to reality , it`s not charging ! If I take the + cable off the battery it dies . It`s a 79 with the big Delco alt. There are 2 wires that plug into the alt. , one heavy red and a lighter guage one . I tried them in both postions but it didnt seem to make the guage come to life . If I add another battery ( with jumper cables) the volt guage in the Jeep jumps to 12 volts . I know it should be at about 14 when running . What is a good way to test the alt. in the vehicle ? Any ideas on this one ?

Question 2 : The carb is a 2100 MC , I dont seem to be getting any vacuum on the 2 small vac. ports on the carb base . My distributor draws vacuum from this source so I don`t think my vacuum advance is working right . Should carb vacuum ( on this carb ) be present at idle ? I have lots of manifold vacuum , which I tried on the distributor but the Jeep seems to run rough when I rev it up then .
I know this is long winded but am looking for any ideas and would appreciate any help guys . Thanks

Jeff 79 CJ5 304
w/T-Rush Ignition.

<font color=black>O|||O [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:49 PM

Re: First Time the CJ`s Run in 3 Years , BUT...

your alt is toast, go get a new one, that alt is real cheap in price, be quicker and cheaper to replace than repair.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:01 PM

The little wire should plug into the side of the alt and is for excitation. It should get a positive feed when the key is in the run position and should de-energize when the key is shut off. The large red wire should go directly to the positive side of the battery or to the starter solenoid where the battery cable connects to it. Also make sure your engine and alternator are grounded well.

Anything above the throttle plate should not have vacuum at idle. Everything below will have full vacuum. Your vacuum advance should not have vacuum at idle. It should only have vacuum when the throttle is open.

Jeeplvr
"Get out and lock in the hubs will ya?""
http:// www.trailhed.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ya ok , there are connections 1 & 2 on the alternator . Does it matter which wire , the thick red or other( brown I think ) go on 1 or 2 ?

Ok on the vacuum , thanks !

Jeff

<font color=black>O|||O [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:20 PM
Official Historian

The thick red one goes to position 2 and the smaller one goes to 1.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode