TPI 350 in CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

TPI 350 in CJ7

I was thinking about putting a tpi 350 in my CJ. How many have done this? I want to know what i am getting into before i start buying stuff. Do i need the factory harness if i buy the Painless harness? Just need an idea of the parts i will have to get before i can get started..
thanks for your help. wade

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:40 PM

Re: TPI 350 in CJ7

Dont bother putting a chevy motor in it! FORD all the way. But if you do put a 350 in it, buy parts then worry about how hard it is to put it in there!!

85 cj7 4inches, 33's, working on an engine swap...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

any other opinion's? lumpy85's doesn't count.. LOL

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:56 PM

i would just be careful which year 350. There are a few odd years in there whose parts are a little less common, and more expensive to locate or replace. i mention this only because i have watched my friend go through hell and back working on his Camaro. Godd luck, Scott...

My Rides
1979 CJ-7: 304, 3spd, much is my rebuild
1983 CJ-7: 258, 5spd, for Peru Excursion
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it'll fit...anything will fit and there are lots of parts out there to swap a chevy into your jeep. i am in the process of swapping a 99 vortec into my jeep. well it is actually in but i am waiting on my new gas tank to run my fuel lines and my computer to get back from being programmed but.... anyway it can be done. you will not need the factory harness if you use the painless one. i really don't see why people spend all the $$$ on harnesses though. get the factory one with the motor and then but a factory service manual (trust me chiltons and haynes will do nothing for you) and use the wiring schematics to figure it out. yeah it takes alittle time but it saves you alot of $$$. just my op.

your best bet if find a motor that is still in the car so you can steal the computer, sensors, wiring and all. and make sure you get ALL of it. it'll make life alot easier. also if it is anything like my vortec it'll have 4 o2 sensors. what i did was run the two pre cat o2's and splice the signal wire on the post 2 so they were reading off the same connector. then i bought a device from casper's electronics (they have a web site) that simulates a post cat o2. this way i just bundle the wiring up out of the way and i don't have to run a cat converter. other than that eng. mounts, radiator (you can buy one or take your current one to a rad shop and have the ports switched to work with the chevy), and that is all i can think of right now. like i said before find a whole car if you can. it'll save you time and $$$.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Adapter for the T-18, motor mounts, headers or x-mans., radiator or mod. your own, wiring (painless is stand alone-will need the CPU though) various sensors, fuel pump and relay/regulator. Also add knowledgable friends, shop and/or $$$. Most of all patience. Sure would be nice to see a 360 in there instead. Good luck, Ben

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The two basic types of TPI systems are the Mass Air Flow Sensor systems (MAS), or the Manifold Absolute Pressure systems (MAP). The MAP is the easier to install, the MAS is easier to modify and tune. The MAS system might not be the best thing for a Jeep driving down a rough dirt road.

I've already converted my CJ to a Chevy 350 and spent over $3000 doing it. I think the performance of a 350 is great in a Jeep CJ, but other engine options cost less, and leave money to improve transmission, transfer case, and axles. Look at the Jeep as an entire project, not just something to add a performance engine upgrade to.
dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 02:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i've heard just the oposite and that the mass air is the way to go. who knows. i think as long as you set it up right it wouldn't matter which you use but yes the mass air is more forgiving to modifications.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 03:24 AM

-snip-The MAS system might not be the best thing for a Jeep driving down a rough dirt road. -snip-
Dave,
It's interesting that this just come up, Last week I bought a '88 IROC Camaro with a 350TPI that I may swap into my '5. Tell me why you think the MAS engine is not a good idea for a Jeep? If you can secure the MAS sensor with a bracket to keep it from moving around(on rubber inlet tube), would'nt it work fine? Or i'm I missing something?

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 04:05 AM

Go ahead Wade put that 360 in there!!! I think you should put a ford small block cause you dont have change the radiator, and they are more reliable than a chevy motor anyway! And my opinion counts! LOL

85 cj7 4inches, 33's, working on an engine swap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode