Advanced Adapters or Novak Adapters - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 05:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Advanced Adapters or Novak Adapters

I have a question about what adapter to buy for my conversion. I have a th350 that i want to hook up to my dana 20 transfer case, what adapter would you buy. Advanced Adapters said that i need to change my output shaft in my transmission to there 6 spline shaft so it would slip into my dana 20 transfercase with there adapter. Novak Adapters said that i can use all the original components in my transmission that means i get to keep my stock output shaft and i don't have to take apart my tranny to adapt it. the price is cheaper to, compared to the Advanced Adapters one. Only thing is that it is 2.9 inches long and Advanced Adapters is 1.85 inches long i got a cj5 with a 400 chevy in it and lots of horsepower. What would you guys use in this conversion. STRENGTH HELPS TOO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 06:27 PM

Re: Advanced Adapters or Novak Adapters

What's the driveshaft's length and angle with the Novak? Did you know you can move the axle back a few inchs using wagoner front springs on the back of your '5. You would'nt need to rebuild the trans, the adapter is less expenive, and your '5 will ride better and be more stable with the longer wheelbase. Plus I like the people at Novak, Eric is very helpfull( got me a great deal on a tera 4 to 1 and custom drilled my adapter) and their products are top quality.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 06:53 PM
Official Historian

If the 1" is going to make that much difference with your rear driveshaft, you could order the plates from MORE that move the axle 1". I have a pair on my front to move the front axle forward 1" and they are easy to install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

im still in the process of doing this 400 chevy convesion, motor has not yet been decided where it's going to be sitting, because i want to figure out the adapter first then put everything in and then adjust it where it fits the best probabely move it ahead about five inches i figure i will have a 13 in. diveshaft i will get a c.v. joint style shaft and place the rearend pinion up toward the transfercase i would like to keep the axle in the stock location. i just don't want this thing to viberate like a paint shaker down the highway when i get this thing done. there is no suspension lift in this thing at all that i am aware of and it has 33 in. tire on it though that fit just right.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 08:07 PM

Dan
If you are still in the planning stage, there is a nother possibility. You could move the motor towards the front and get a lot more room for a longer shaft, by putting a DJ front end on. They look good set up that way and are cheap. Take a look at these.

This little CJ5 runs a 350/350 combo and goes where ever it wants to go.
GP'n

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are using a T350 2wd tranny you will need to change the o.p. shaft with an AA unit as well as Novak (AA#50-3000 2wd adapt. $419.00 unsure of the shaft $$) however if you are using a 4wd tranny that will not be necessary(AA #50-3001 $379.00) I beg to differ with whomever you spoke with @ Novak but if you use their product p/n#103 and you have a 2wd tranny you would still need their p/nGM #8641088 o.p. shaft to make it work. Hope this helps you, Ben

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 02:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

jeepn, that cj looks cool with the dj grill! i like! i have seen one other cj running the postal grill and i didn't thinck it looked as good but that one does. anyway just thought i'd tell you.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 07:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx guys, i do have a 2wd tranny and i will find a 4wd output shaft at one of my friends houses i thank you guys for the replies and the nice pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode