how do you remove rear view mirror? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

how do you remove rear view mirror?

so does anyone have any ideas on how to remove my rearview mirror w/o breaking the windshield. i got one of the ones with lights built into it and just put that one on. i mounted it a little higher than that last so now i have that dumb little metal 'button' still in the middle of my windshield. i tried to use a razor blade to scrape it, then i put an adjustable on it and tried to turn it. i gave it a few tugs, but it feels tight and if it doesn't give, the windshield will and i really don't want to have to replace it. So, any suggestions anyone?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 05:17 PM

Re: how do you remove rear view mirror?

Well its safe to say that I have not had that problem of trying to get a button off. Out here in AZ the problem is getting the things to stay on. My best guess and I asure that this is just a guess but you may try some mineral spirts dropping a few drops above the button letting it run down the edges where the button meets the glass. and take a hair dryer and hold it on the windsheild just behind the button to heat it up, (simulate some Arizona temps) and it just may pop right off with a little tug on the pliers. You may have to do this a few times but heat is the answer.
GP'n

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:13 PM

You might try putting some kind of solvent (maybe acetone) around it and see if you can soften the glue, then work it with the razor blade.
Interesting that yours won't come off, I never can get the darn things to stay on [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 02:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use a propane torch on low heat to heat the button not the windshield. Make sure to wear gloves as it does get hot
it will come off in a few seconds. This advice originally came from a glass shop so don't be afraid of ruining the
windshield. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD IN COLD WEATHER OR IN
THE VICINITY OF CRACKS OR BULLSEYES good luck it worked for
me!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 07:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

Let my wife drive your Jeep for her first time like she did with mine and attempt to adjust it.

Huh?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go on a ride, pick up a bunch of friends. Get one to crawl from the back to the front seat and tell them that the mirror is a grab handle. It works everytime for me[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I've ran without mine for about 3 months, then replaced it higher on the windshield this last time.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:07 AM

Mine usuall pop off durring a hard roll over, of course the entire windshield goes with it. Now I just order my new windshields without the mirror clip attached to it.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most of these are held on with cyanoacrylate glue (superglue). Acetone or Xylene will remove them. Don't get it on your dash or paint. It will destroy plastic and paint.
-Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 06:23 PM

The acetone is a good suggestion. Nail polish remover works the same, might be more convenient if your jeep chick is closer than the hardware store.

Rick -- 80s CJ7, under construction since June
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 12:11 AM

Don't watch your three and five year old that closely when you are working in the garage. They love the jeep as much as anyone and climb in to play. I only takes about three minutes before you will hear "daddy this thing fell off again". Happens everytime. (3rd time anyway)

BigHG
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode