O/T boo,I don't know if I will get another jeep :( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

O/T boo,I don\'t know if I will get another jeep :(

Well as some of you might now..I sold my jeep a few weeks back.
I was thinking about buying a dissasembled cj5 for 900 or so.It's been sitting outside for 2 years and hasn't moved.
It has some rust,but a t-18,and is not wired up, and he said the engine needed "going through" but ran before he took apart the jeep(it was to repair frame rust).He said it was complete minus seats.
I finally got time to go up and see it(I've been talking to him for about a month and a half or longer) and I was going to go next week.
Well he tells me yesterday that he is going to sell it on ebay instead,and that the motor won't turn over so I would have to fully rebuild it.He said he is going to set the reserve at like 1,200.
I'd be way over my head buy the time I bought a new engine and fixed everything if I bought it for 1,200.
All I can say is boo!
I haven't been able to find any cheap good cj's around here that are in my price range(3,100)
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I now wish I wouldn't have sold my jeep without having something fully worked out before I sold it.
I think I'm going to have to get a zuk sami or something and lift and lock it cause they seem pretty cheap.
Being jeepless sucks!I didn't wheel my jeep for a few months before I sold it because I didn't want to mess up my bodywork..or get rust.So I'm itching to go offroad.
I give this two thumbs down.
Just felt like "letting out" my recent jeep drama

Its four wheel drive and naked women what more do you want?
-Dirt Dog
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T boo,I don\'t know if I will get another jeep :(

Man joey, I remember we all advised you not to do it! oh well, can't change things now. keep looking, I saw some cheap ones on ebay that needed a little work, look harder

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 09:49 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I won't say we told you so, that'd be rude.

As an owner of both a Zuk and a Jeep (a few jeeps actually), don't get caught into thinking the Zuk is any cheaper. In fact, most stuff for it is more expensive. The initial price was cheaper, and a locker is cheaper, but overall they're more expensive. They're still a decent vehicle, don't get me wrong, and they wheel great.

Just look around for another jeep, you'll find one if you look LONG enough, don't just take the first thing that comes along. Also, get with some jeepers, they often have some they're selling, but not advertising. We tend to trade and dicker amongst ourselves more than with the open public.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 09:51 PM

Joey- I felt the same way after i sold my jeep. I deffinetly didn't make any money on it (lost a lot) and i wasn't having fun. But i did work my ass off ($$) and i was always looking for a good deal. I found a complete jeep that was very very rusty but ran with some help and it too had a T18.
I almost snapped my neck a few times looking around buildings and repair shops to finally find that jeep. And now i am about 1/3 done with my frame off.
All i can say is good luck, and if it is a jeep that you really want hold off until you get one. Seriously hold off. - Tim [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I know..I had another "backup" jeep to though.
My buddies friend had a 86 cherokee for 1,200..which was in good shape but had a four cylinder.
My buddy who told me about it bought it a few days ago.
I would have had enough money to still buy a jeep in this area with money that I got from selling my cj.
The only problem was that a few things went wrong after it went on auction and I forgot about a few problems.I ended up borrowing and spending about $500 on parts(rear end,new gas tank, and a few other things) before I sold it,and I had to repay the debts once the auction was over and the jeep was picked up.
This is a few blocks away
Maybee I should get this instead?

-Dirt Dog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-536281-low.JPG (21.0 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

You could say you told me so..
But you wouldn't be correct.
No one here knew that he was going to back out and want more a few days before I was going to go check it out/pick it up.
I would have most likely gotten it otherwise.
I've seen some sami's for about 1,200 to 1,500 around here..and in the ad's it says they run etc..and one has a hardtop.

-Dirt Dog
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you swapped rims/tires in the parking lot before you went anywhere. Oh, I was assuming thats the plan.. whoops.

'01TJeff

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

true, but we knew that jeep was in need of major help

'01TJeff

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 10:18 PM
Way Outta Control

Bummer dude [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]... that really sucks! I'd love to have a Zuki, they're a fine little vehicle... but as you've been told, parts prices and mods can add up to more than it would be on a Jeep.

Now for the advise. Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket. Jeep fever is hard to resist. Almost everyone on this board has suffered from it a time or two. Take your time looking for the best deal that suits your needs, not necessarly your wants.

Start crusin' the back woods and looking for deals.

Last week I was just northwest of Gallitan Missouri on an back road heading for I-35 and spotted a mid-50's Willys pickup sitting in a field. If it's there next year when I'm in the area again... I'll stop and as about buying it.

Jeep deals are out there but take your time and end up with a rig that'll do you proud.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 12:11 AM

well joey too bad your so far away i am letting my renegade cj5 go for around 2800 brand new super top 304 V8 with a hotter cam and headers smittybuilt front roll cage dana 44 reaer axle it only needs a windshield and some minor brake work but i live in ny

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode