80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 07:34 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Which Swampers?

You definitely want a 33" tall tire, and nothing too skinny, right?

I'd say the SX's are out, because with you're light weight, the 15.5" wide tire will float all over the place and not grab, seen it many times in the terrain we run. Most notably a guy running a 304/auto/Scout D44's on a YJ, he couldn't get up the easiest slope because he was just scuffing up the surface. He's since gone to 35x12.5 Claws and loves them.

Too bad Interco isn't still making the 34x10.5, that'd be the perfect size.

I'd have to stick with the 33x12.5 bias then, but I'd look into the SSR's a little more, I know a lot of people had problems with weak sidewalls when they were first introduced, but I have heard they've strengthened them. The 6 ply (I think orginally they were 4 ply) would be a lot more forgiving than the 8 ply of the bias with your light jeep.

Give the guys at East Coast Rover a shout and ask them, they switched from bias to SSR over the last year and love them, but being so far away I don't run with them anymore. They can be found at http://www.eastcoastrover.com/. Ian and Chris are OK, Mike can be kind of snotty, must be a Rover thing I don't understand.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 12:13 PM

I'm running 33x12.50 radial TSLs on my cj5, I like them, they do pretty well, although I had to have one replaced because of an internal sidewall problem, (under warranty). I think my next set will probably be 36x12.5 TSL SX or 35x14.5 Boggers, because I want a stronger tire. Make sure to buy road hazard warranty with your tires...

Lugnut 77 cj5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to thank everyone. I went out today and bought 5 33x12.5's tsl bias plys. I also got 5 wheels. All together it came to $1014. I'm really happy with it. Thanks for all of your info. It helped me alot. Otherwise I'd still be just confused. I'll put up picks here sometime this week so show everyone what they helped me pick. (Not like you haven't seen tsl's before)

THANKS!
Seth

post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

now go out and get them dirty! you'll really see how much you like them then and a swamper is a whole lot happier in the dirt, rocks, mud, whatever.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2001, 07:25 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have never been disappointed with those tires, and I think you'll like the grip. One thing Iforgot to mention (kinda late), is to be easy on them, my tires have personally shredded 2 front axles and 1 rear, there's a lot of grip, so be easy with the gas pedal.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode