Woof! Those 14-bolt FF rear axles! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Woof! Those 14-bolt FF rear axles!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I inspected the rear axle recently in our FS GM 4X4 and I have to say that the 14-bolt full floater is a massive axle. In fact, when you peep in the rear window, you DON'T SEE the end of the pinion gear, you see a TIMKEN bearing. I had just dismantled a big Rockwell 6.31 pumpkin out of a truck and they are set up the very same way. They have three bearings on the pinion shaft instead of just two.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 09:19 PM

Re: Woof! Those 14-bolt FF rear axles!

Yea, Massize is the word, I just finish taking mine out and reinstalling it to done some rear suspension work, had to use a comealong(sp?)and two floor jacks to get it back in postion. Theres not much extra room inside that huge housing. Having that rear bearing must make it alot easier on the other two, taking the stress off the end of the shaft.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:42 PM

Yeah, youve gotta love that extra pinion support bearring.
Those are some very stout axles.
I am picking mine up tommorrow, they are out of old Armored Trucks(I think they were old brinks trucks, but they have been painted over), there are two of them. One has factory discs and the other drums. They are 64" wide. He wants $300 each for them but had already promised the disc version to another guy. He said he will sell it to me tommorrow if the other guy doesnt show by noon. Either way I will buy one or the other, its not that hard to convert to discs, if I decide I need to go that direction.
The other nice thing about the 14, is that Detroits are unbelievably cheap for them for some reason($300 + or -).
You can also shave quite a bit off the bottom to improve clearance from what Ive heard.
I cant wait, to pick it up, Im not sure what gears they have in them. Maybe Ill get lucky and itll have 4.56 or 4.88 gears like the motorhomr versions sometimes do(My dodge chasis motorhome has a D70 with 4.88).

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:04 AM
utahjeepr

From what I understand the Detroits are cheap for them because the Detroit is a "lunchbox locker" for them. A fellow told me they were like my Dana 70, the carrier is a 2 piece. You just open it up, pull the spiders, and drop in the Detroit. Can't confirm this cause the only vehicles I ever owned with 14 bolts never gave me any rear end trouble. Never bothered to look during fluid changes. Too bad you can't get a 1410 yoke for a 14 bolt like you can for the D-60/70, you can't really take advantage of all the strength without a bigger U-joint.

My other car is a bulldozer!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:22 AM

I wasnt aware of the Yoke not being able to go to a 1410. What yoke options are available for the 14?
I may heva to call Jesse at High Angle, tommorrow morning bfore I go out the pick up my axle. The guy also has 2 D70 axles, but he wasnt sure how wide they were. He said they were disc brake versions though, and he wants $600 each for them. I was leaning towards the 14 bolt, because I knew how wide they were, and how cheap they were to build. Maybe Ill throw a tape on the 70s and bring an extra $300 just in case.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:37 AM

Jess has 1410 yokes with Ubolts for a 14bolt, talked to him a couple weeks ago about it.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:50 AM

Thanks Wayne,
I had a feeling Jeese would have an answer, that guy has been working double time staying on top, of high strength needs for seriouse drive trains. I really need to over to his shop in Paradise and visit him now that I am in No. Cal.

How much material can be shaved off of the bottom of the 14 bolt case?
Also I forgot how wide the axle shafts are, I know that they are only 30 spline, but arent they like 1 5/8" thick shafts.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 07:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can take quite a bit of a 14bolt with a grinder. i'm not sure exactly how much because i didn't measure. the shafts are either 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 in diameter. i havn't measured these either. everything i have ever seen has said 1 1/2 but i did read in one mag that they are actually 1 5/8. i just don't know nor do i care. i know how beefy they are and people with 44's run them so my little 38.5's aint gonna hurt them. the detrit for the 14bolt is cheaper than most others because the go into the stock case similar to the lunch box lockers. they do make e-z lockers for the 14 bolt and what is the difference i'm not sure but with the price of the detroit being so low who cares. you don't hear of people having problems with them like you do actual lunch box lockers do you? i havn't. slap one in... or weld it and go. good luck.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 07:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1.5" and 30 spline

You say tomato, I say fawk you.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 01:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i'd be carefull about taking too much off the bottom of the housing.. not because of strength.. it's plenty thick.. because of the diff cover.. i wish i had pics of mine that i recently swapped out.. I ground it till it was smooth on the bottom(big ramp), taking most of the lip off. when i took it out, the diff cover was mangled on the bottom.. it was even with the lowest portion of the housing and the rocks were catching it. it was all bent up, barely holding gear lube....oh well.. i still swapped it for a 5.0........

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy
http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode