i'm pretty broke...should I go SOA? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:33 PM
Joker2002

i\'m pretty broke...should I go SOA?

I hate to sound cheap, but I am! I'm only 17 years old and all the money I make (which isn't much) goes into a savings account. I am really desperate to get some lift on my Jeep, and even though SOA isn't always considered safe, it sounds like it might not be that bad. I know axle wrap is supposed to be a problem with this (right?), but just keep in mind that I am not an off-roader. This would be just to make the Jeep look good, since the Jeep is used for street/highway use 99% of the time. So anyways, how much money would I have to pour into this project? And, because I'm not a serious off-roader, would I have to deal with many of the bad side effects of SOA? I'm going right now to see if there is any documentation on ORC for SOA, but do you guys know of some other sites with good SOA info and instructions?

Also, about how much lift does SOA give you?

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: i\'m pretty broke...should I go SOA?

By no means is the SOA any cheaper than a SUA lift. look around the net, you have to do all the work yourself for it to be close to cheap.. keep in mind you'll probably need a slip yoke elim. kit to keep you roadbound with out any vibs from the rear of your jeep.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:58 PM
Old Hand

I would say your best options would be the following:

-used decent spring under lift (I've seen people selling on ebay, bulletin boards, etc.) for $100-$200. You're talking 2 1/2 to 4" lifts usually.

-If you are looking for a couple of cheap inches, you could do a 1-2" body lift and a 1" shackle lift.

I think SOA is NOT the way to go if you are just looking for better looks. It seems cheap, but steering can get expensive, so can brake lines, shocks, slip yoke eliminator (if you have a wrangler), drive shaft mods, etc.

By the way, what size tire are you trying to run?

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 08:18 PM
Joker2002

Well, if I don't ever put a lift on my Jeep, I plan on eventually running 31s. If I do end up going SOA or putting some kind of 2.5 - 4" lift kit, my goal would be to get up to 33s.

If I did go SOA, would a dropped pitman arm and a t-case lowering kit be all I'd need to negate the problems?

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 08:50 PM
Veteran

If you go SOA a dropped pitman will not fix your steering problems and a tcase drop will not be enough to fix your rear driveline problems. Go SUA lift, get agressive rubber (even 31 MT is fine), get/make some cheap armor and pick your lines well. Other than that just wheel the crap out of it before going sky high. Driving experience will worth more to you than any lift you can get!
Oh, I just saw that you're not a wheeler. At 17 years old why do you need a poser jeep? Instead of lifting it, lift your savings deposit amount. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To simplify or shoten the reply to your post, an SOA will cost at least the same amount as a SUA unless you find the parts at a great deal and do some of the work yourself or have the aid of some good friends. When it comes down to it "nothing worth doing right is cheap". Save some more $$$ and do it right. Otherwise you'll be doing it again. Ben

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:04 PM
Joker2002

To kutyafal:

Did you go SOA on your YJ? Looking at your bio it says "SOA on 2.5 inch." Even though you've done it, are you just not recommending it, or am I reading your bio wrong? If you HAVE done it, how much would you estimate the cost to have been, including the modifications that needed to be done to fix steering and whatnot?

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it ashame that youll keep you jeep on the road.
i say a body lift would be best.
31 will fit with no lift. but u wont be able to flext at all.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:29 PM
Joker2002

Yeah, I really wish I lived in an area that was more for off-roading. I'm a bit of a city boy, I must admit. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] And if I did end up putting an SUA suspension lift on, I wouldn't want to use a YJ lift because I want to go to coil springs (TJ lift) instead of leaf springs (YJ lift). What sort of modifications would be necessary to go to coils? Is it simply a matter of taking the leaf spring-packs out and bolting on the coils? Anyways, I'm DEFINITELY not ready to spend my money on this, but I was wondering about the possibilities of putting a TJ lift on a YJ (coil spring conversion, is that what it's called?).

Joker2002
93 YJ/4.0L/30x9.50 ATs
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A coil spring conversion would start at $1800 or so and then go up depending on options (some welding required), a 4" SUA kit will go for $375 and up depending on make and selections (a complete kit is usually in the $500 range), Spring overs are done at our shop for $850 and that is with corrected steering on most Jeeps (some do need extra attention). This should answer your questions.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode