So am I a real jeeper now? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

So am I a real jeeper now?

My first Jeep, a '76 Wagoneer, only survived a few months before it stalled in an intersection and some doltish person t-boned it because he "couldn't see it." Well, we all know how hard firecracker red wagoneers are to spot, but anyway...

Cut forward about ten years to now. Just purchased a '76 CJ-5 (AMC 360, still-undetermined 3-spd trans T-15? or T-150? or T-90?, 32x11.5 mud treads, and for whatever reason extra springs ammounting to a 1" lift and kidney-jarring ride) for the express purpose of never being satisfied with the mods I'd installed on it Anyhoo, was out driving it testing out motor work I'd just completed when the U-joint just behind the transfer case decided to discombobulate. It looked like the yoke shackle had come loose just enough to allow the endcap for the one spider spindle to fly off into never-never land (I'm still getting used to these terms, forgive me if I'm misusing them... I may not know what they're all called, but I can point them out in a police lineup). The rear driveshaft seperated from the transfer case and started clunking like nobody's business. After careful consideration and debate, I stopped. Thinking quickly... well, rapidly, maybe... ok, not too fast at all... I decided I didn't want to leave the thing sitting without any lock to speak of, and no insurance yet, sitting on the side of the road. Luckily, I had a cardboard box and leatherman tool with me. So, burning my hands on the now-not-so-great-idea double exhaust, I layered up enough cardboard to serve as a perfunctory spidercap and slid the rear driveshaft back into place. Going in 4H with the front wheels doing most of the work, I was able to drive it the 5 miles back home.

I tried to relate my extreme self-satisfaction and backpatting to my wife, but she was just pissed that I was very late for dinner and incredibly greasy. So now you guys get to hear my blabber.

So, when was the first time you yourself felt like a real jeeper? Does this in any way compare?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 05:10 PM
Addict

Re: So am I a real jeeper now?

The first time I felt like a real Jeeper was when I paid off the $1000 in parts I needed just to get the CJ somewhat running. Jeep is definitely not synonymous with cheap.

Good story though. I think you fit in quite nicely.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." --Jaws
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 06:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

I felt like a real jeeper when I picked mine up from the previous owners house, drove it 25 miles, and it broke down. Total cost in replacing a wiring harness....$1200. That's after the mechanics charged me 6hrs. worth of work for sitting around and staring at it.
I felt like a TRUE jeeper when I said to myself, "[email protected] this, I'll learn to work on it myself!" That's when I found this board, and haven't left yet.
Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

http://www.geocities.com/yjlaredo240/index.htm<font color=green>Dana 30 Vaccuum disconnect courtesy of xjy173</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When was I a real Jeeper? I think it was when I rebilt the rear brakes in a 77' and thought ehh, the bearings are probly fine. Driving home from a little 'digging", with some friends I could hear a scrapping sound from the rear end. It was raining when I got home and after parking the Jeep I got out and noticed steam coming off of the centre of the driver side rear rim. The next day I parked in Dad's garage, removed the rear wheel, grabbed the brake drum with both hands, pulled, and the whole axle followed. The bearing simply disintegrated.
I was lucky that I didn't turn hard to the right on the way home.

85'CJ, stock for now! It's a Jeep thing ...my wife doesn't understand.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Driving what remained of my Jeep after a hard roll thirty miles home in below freezing weather!

Jeep...need I say more?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 09:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You're a real Jeeper when you consider the "expedition" more important than the destination. Getting there; getting beat up; and then getting the cripple home under it's own steam is what Jeeping is really about.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I felt like a jeeper the first day I got it, with the top down and a broken radio. The next month the transmisions 5th gear went out, no biggie until the engine blew. After handing over all my summers pay I was feeling good. Hey but it is worth it, I love this vehicle!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:26 AM

I just thought I was a real Jeeper. But today, my 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter asked to go riding for the first time. We went to a spot by the house and rode a few trails for a couple of hours. After seeing the look on my kids faces during the ride.... now I KNOW I'm a real Jeeper![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Greg - 85 CJ7, 258, Nutter Bypass, TR Upgrade
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 01:09 AM

I knew the writing was on the walls when I went out to a loamy ravine a few years ago, and flopped my YJ on its side so, that I could knock the spline portion of a broken axle out of the carrier.
However,I knew I had been completely emersed and had comfortably accepted(and been accepeted) by all that goes with the offroading lifestyle, a couple months ago.
While showing off, in a steep V rock, on Fordyce in front of a Bronco Club, I, 1st impressed the hell out them with a fairly impressive climb, then entertained them with a very spectacular screw up. I tried to wheel spin my way back out of the V at the top, and instead spun my way into the V and wedged my wheels, in the course of about 1/2 a second I grenaded both rear axle shafts, snapped both yokes off of my rear drive shaft, broke the driver side spring, bent the passenger side spring and ripped my traction bar from the axle. They all looked at me like I was totaly screwed, but within minutes, I had everyone helping and giving suggestions throughout the entire ordeal,(which took about 4 hours of welding, pounding, winching, and wrenching), when we wre done, one guy said he had never been involved in something like that and said it was one of coolest things he ever got to do on the trail. I thanked them all, and limped home.
I knew, that I was a Jeeper to the bone that day.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 01:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Dang H8, what kinda' noise did THAT make? Actualy, I've never been Jeeping under my own power. It started on hunting trails up north in my uncles (now my step-dad's) CJ-5. I promptly bought a CJ-7 that was a basket case and tore it apart. After a year of figuring out what to do with it and another year rebuilding it, it's close to starting up. On That day I will feel like a true Jeeper. I built it myself with my own tools, and my own cash, and ALOT of help from this board. I thank you all!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode