Wagoneer 360/727/d-44 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wagoneer 360/727/d-44 swap

I am looking a purchasing a complete 83 wagoneer. I plan to drop the 360/727 in my 82 CJ7 and have a couple of questions.

As I under stand it, the 727 is a direct replacement for my 999 and will fit provided I have atleast 4" of lift. Is this correct?

Will my driveshafts have to be modified if I swap the transmission? I like my 999, but I understand the 727 is stronger (not to mention in this case it is rebuilt 6,000 miles ago)

Will my radiator with built-in trans cooler still work with the engine/trans combo.

Will my current shift linkage have to be modified?

Also, I am considering putting the D-44 from the front in my jeep. Do I have to narrow the axle and move the spring perches, or will it fit in with less hassles than that.

I hope to part out the rest of the truck. Would anyone be interested in axles/body parts?

Thanks

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 05:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Wagoneer 360/727/d-44 swap

the front axle wont work with your d300 transfer case.. unless you use the one from the wagoneer.. the differential is on the wrong side for the d300... i would use the rear axle.. sell the front to a yj guy... then buy a 74-79 wagoneer front axle to match the rear..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepgod would be correct and as he usually is. As to having 4" of lift as a pre-req. that would be untrue, It will fit without the lift. As long as you do not relocate the T.-case the shafts will remain the same. The shift linkage may need slight mods. The radiator should be fine.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 10:22 AM
Ellis

If the radiator is for a 258 six cyl, it will not give adequate cooling for the 360, especially during wheeling.

80 CJ5, 52M38 Always carry a BFH and a screwdriver.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if you have a 3 core radiator.. then it might work.. they seem to be fickel..
mine works with my 401.. but elusive's didnt work that well.. he ended up going to a 4 core.. but mine is still there.. still working.. but with the automatic.. it might be a bit much... definetly get a tranny cooler..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 360 with the automatic, and my 3-core keeps between 180* and 200*, with a tranny cooler in front of the radiator.

The 727 will fit with no lift, but your front driveshaft won't. The front output on the D300 is right behind the tranny oil pan, so you'll need about 4" at least to get the front shaft to clear below the transmission. You could also try a two-piece shaft, or clocking the t-case.

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Canis and Jeepgod, all three of my CJ-7's are running 360's with TF-727's, and the front driveshaft problem is very real. Even with 4" of lift the front shaft will (can) come in contact with the tranny pan at full flex, I ended up putting a bump stop on the passenger side front that was 1" lower than the factory and it solved the problem. I have a heck of a nice dent in the pan ear but it dosen't cause any trouble. Oh, one thing for sure you will want to be aware of, the counter weight on the front drive shaft needs to be at the diff yoke, I didn't do that the first time and the counter weight almost ripped a big hole in the tranny pan when I stuffed the passenger side front tire in the fender well (that was also before I changed the bump stop).

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode