Dumb question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dumb question

Are the bulletproof front and rear bumpers bolt on, or do they need to be welded? Thanks guys

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dumb question

I know there are people here using bulletproof bumpers! Help!

'01TJeff

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 04:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know either but here's a link to bullet proof bumpers there is an e-mail link there and you can contact them directlyhttp://www.bulletproofmfg.com/

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 05:17 PM

Sorry, don't use those bumpers but Here's something to think about, If you use a bumper thats as strong as or stronger then your frame, whats going to happen when the bumper hits something? Anwser, you may/will be replacing the frame. I've always used weak bumper that can be easily(and cheaply) be replaced. I would suggest using common small dia. bolts to mount your bumper, they will break before the frame does. If you plan on a winch, keep the bumper and winch plate seperate.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:18 PM
utahjeepr

They bolt on, but for what they cost they should come with a Jeep already attached. For the price of their front and rear bumpers plus a tire rack with acc. you could actually buy a bender, a fair welder, and a hell of a lot of steel.

My other car is a bulldozer!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I know, they must make a fortune. If I could only learn how to make them that well, I could go into business. lol

'01TJeff

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 04:08 AM
I Do This For The Glory

If they can do it, so can you. That's the attitude I take when looking at a project. It may take me a little more time, but I've never been disappointed and picked up some skills you just can't put a price tag on.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 05:27 AM

That's a fact Jeep'n.
Bullet Proof MFG makes a hell of a high quality bumper system, but it costs like $1300 for front and rear, with tire carriers and racks. Geeeeze, and when its all said and done, and your out on the trail, its still,..well just another high quality bumper. Once evryone climbs into there rigs and starts heading up the trail, no one even notices who has the most beatiful bumpers. No, Actually the guy with spare axles clamped to his home made bumper, and is able to repair a broken axle assembly within a 1/2 hour after he breaks one, still gets plenty of recognition for his choice of bumper configuration.
Learn to build what you want/need, and you will start to see why, guys who wheel hard trails with no problems, have set up there rigs the way they have.
Get out and wheel with a club, or group of guys who like to wheel, and you will meet guys who will help fabricate for you and teach you also.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 05:31 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Are you an insomniac or what? I'm on the EAST coast, WAAAAAY on the east, so it's almost light here (sun coming up and Lobstah boats headin' out), and I went to bed early so I couldn't sleep. It's actually the time posted on the thread there as ORC is west coast based. Knowing you are married with at least one daughter, and knowing what you do for a living, what in sam hill are you doing awake?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 05:45 AM

Ive been sleeping durring the day for the last week so I can be on site for some traffic/Road work that has to be done in the evenings. It throws my internal clock into a funk. I pulled all of my drive train out of the rig last night, to replace the busted housing on my NP435. I climbed into the sack for about an hour, then the next thing I knew I had the NP435 in here, on the dining room table, and started tearing it apart.
I hate night work, it throws me for a loop, I only sleep about 5-6 hours a day anyway. I hope I dont fall behind on my beauty sleep,...ah, what the hell, Ive got plenty to lose. Hahaha

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode