Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Advice for a jeep newbie (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/86218-advice-jeep-newbie.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 09-07-2001 11:22 AM

Advice for a jeep newbie

I am interested in buying my first jeep that I can tool around with and possibly set it up for some offroad in the future. That said, I have been casually looking at ads around where I live and there is a 1988 inline 6, stick, w/ hardtop that the owner claims the body needs a little work. Hasn't been used as a offroad vehicle and is located in New England (probably why body needs work). The engine has 160000 miles and still runs good (again his claim). I guess what I want to know is if this would be a good candidate for what I want to do? He is selling it for 3 grand and this is within my price range. If you all don't mind sharing some things to look out for when I go check it out, it would be greatly appreciated. I am not afraid to spend some money fixing up the body and the other things that die with age, but I want to know if 160000 miles is too much on the I-6 and if I will have to get it rebuilt.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can offer!

Sycho15 09-07-2001 12:08 PM

Re: Advice for a jeep newbie

The manual transmission in the Jeeps from '87-89 is the Puegot BA-10. Its about worthless. If you plan on 'wheeling it, plan on replacing that transmsission in about a year.... "Been there, done that" The automatic in Jeeps has always been a tough unit. Also, the axles aren't very strong either. Strong enough for a stocker though, if you dont lock them (althoug some will argue against that, too). The engine is the 258, all choked up on emmisions crap and running a horrible carberator. Take it off-road and will cease to idle, garaunteed, until you figure out where to spray the carb cleaner. If your going to buy a YJ (87-95) Wrangler, look for the '91 and newer models. They've got a great engine and a stout drivetrain, even if the axles are still weak. In '93 the rollbar was improved, but thats nothing to rule out an older model on. In '95 the front axle got bigger, stronger U-joints, but those are probably out of your price range.

So...'91 and up, or '87-90 with automatic if you dont mind doing some work to the engine to make it a nice runner. I've got an '89. I blew out the BA-10 and replaced it with an automatic thats bulletproof. I've ripped all the vacuum lines and wiring off the engine, tossed the computer, replaced the carb and ignition system, and am currently re-wiring the engine bay....

Make it up as you go.
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...85-djandyj.jpg

kerryp 09-07-2001 01:23 PM

I assume that in the New England states that rust is a problem? If so, that is probably the problem with the body. I would check everything over real good especially the frame to make sure theres no major rust. Surface rust isn't that big of a deal, just look it over real good.

If the engine has 160k I would think it would be ready for a rebuild, even if the guy took superb shape of it, 160k is alot of miles, not to mention, I believe a vehicle adapts to the way a person drives it.

Since he has driven it for 160k, once you start driving it, things may decide to start going south just because your driving style is alittle different and that is the straw that breaks the Jeeps back.

Take a look at it real close and base your decision on information, not your eagerness to own a Jeep....Be patient and the right one will come along, you have plenty of time for impulse buys for your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, .......etc. Jeeps..{smile] "don't undersetimate the power of the Jeep side Luke",,,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

**DONOTDELETE** 09-09-2001 12:37 AM

Just want to amend Sycho15's advice for the sake of the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but. There do exist 1990 YJs out there that do not have the worthless Peugot manual transmission. Half of the manual YJs that year have the Aisin AX-15 (mine for example). So I wouldn't want you to summarily rule out a nice 1990 under the assumption that it has the Peugot. It may not; just check first.

DesertRat

90 YJ, 258 I6. Weber 32/36, TR TFI Upgrade, the rest is stock Sahara.
<font color=blue>“It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you.”</font color=blue> - Dick Cheney

**DONOTDELETE** 09-09-2001 01:46 AM

As the others have said, try to avoid the Peugot transmission, it is junk and costs a fortune to fix. You can easily check it by getting under the Jeep and looking at the trans. The Peugot transmissin has a two piece case that is split lengthwise. The left and right halves are bolted together and it is easy to spot, it is the only trans Jeep used that looks like this. If you can get an auto they are nice and the TorquFlite trannies that were used are quite strong. A '91 or newer would be the best becuase they use the 4.0 fuel injected engine and have the better trannies, but they might be a little much for you. You can really improve the 258 six by ditching the stock carb and adding a Weber unit. It will turn the engine around. Other than the carb the 258 is not too bad an engine. Good luck with your search.