Off Roading Forums banner

Wheel/Tire Question

881 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  WILL 
#1 ·
I know I should be reading the site, and figuring this out myself, but i really need someone to tell me for sure if the following will work WITHOUT lifting my TJ.

15x8 Canyon Wheels with 32x11.5 tires?
Will I clear it?

Thanks!

Bill

#2 ·
Tires will fit the rims, but they will rub on the jeep.

The largest you can go is 31x10.5, and even then you will get minor rubbing ont he coil towers at full lock with the swaybar disconnected. Nothing to worry about though. You will also have to move your steering stops out a little, but that's easy.

We've been running 31's on the TJ for 80K, even worn a few sets out.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#4 ·
Yeah you could get them on the rims, but you'd rub both ways. I have 30x9.5 on canyon rims stock, and I could say 10.5 is probably the widest you could go without changing your backspacing. 32's would fit into the wheel well (I actually saw this yesterday) but forget about off road ability. and speed bumps may suck a bit. I am putting on 33x11.5 tires with 4 inches of lift, and I have 1 1/4 inch wheel spacers from JKS manufacturing. They work well. I haven't got the lift on yet, but I'll surely post pics when its done

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"

G
#5 ·
Yeah you could get them on the rims, but you'd rub both ways. I have 30x9.5 on canyon rims stock, and I could say 10.5 is probably the widest you could go without changing your backspacing. 32's would fit into the wheel well (I actually saw this yesterday) but forget about off road ability. and speed bumps may suck a bit. I am putting on 33x11.5 tires with 4 inches of lift, and I have 1 1/4 inch wheel spacers from JKS manufacturing. They work well. I haven't got the lift on yet, but I'll surely post pics when its done

'01TJeff

#6 ·
I've been told that 33x9.50R15's on a 7" wheel will fit a Wrangler with no lift. Can anyone verify this?

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)

#7 ·
NeedsHelp:

You like the wheel spacers? I've heard some negative things about them (like don't use them). I'm thinking of running 32x11.5 MT/R's on my 15x8 stock rims from 30" wheel and tire package. I'm thinking of 1.25" JKS body lift and the MTR's 32 is really only 31.5. The way I figure it, only the width would be the problem. So without getting new rims wheel spacers would be the way to go?

Rob

"Anyone perfect must be lying.
Anything easy has its cost."
Barenaked Ladies

G
#8 ·
Tim- I can verify that it'll fit. I wouldn't recommend it. You would rub your tires over every bump in the road. and forget about offroad. In my opinion, that would really not be good. but thats just me.
Fatboyrob- Yeah, I wanted to use my stock canyon rims when I lifted my truck. I didn't consider it until I saw elusives TJ with stock rims. He has homemade ones, but the only other I could find were the Spidertrax from JKS. So I ordered them, and put them on, and I am very happy with the backspacing it gives. I can now put wider tires on without worrying about rub. Just if you get them, make sure you wear gloves when installing them on the front, or you'll slice up your hands from torqing them. Other than the tires sticking out, I can notice nothing different in ride, or turn quality. As long as you do a quality installation, theres no problem using spacers, it's the same as getting more backspacing from wider rims. Just another set of lug nuts

'01TJeff

#9 ·
Another stupid question - did you put spacers on all four wheels or just the front two. Also, do you have to rebalance everything when you are done?

Thanks

Rob

"Anyone perfect must be lying.
Anything easy has its cost."
Barenaked Ladies

#10 ·
Bill,

Yes, the coil spacers would allow the use of the 32's, but you may still get some rubbing inside the wheel well and when turning.

Our TJ is stock, with 93K on the odometer, and it's been wheeled since it had 126 miles on it (6 miles from the factory and 55 miles home, then "road testing"). We custom ordered it in early '96, and it's 5th birthday is on Sept 30 (it took over 4 months to build it), when it comes off warranty. We have the 8" rims as well, and those are 31's on it, but I can't remember if they were the BFG MT or AT, we have run both. I think the water crossing was with the MT's and the other was with the AT's. We wore out a new set of MT's in about 63K, not bad considering we're not easy on it.

One more thing to consider, the 32x11.5 won't fit on the spare tire rack. The 31's just barely fit, and when new there is no clearance under the 3rd brake light. You will also have to remove the side bump stops on the tailgate for it to fit.

What else has been done to our TJ? I made a set of custom rock rails out of 0.145" wall pipe that's 1.5" in diameter, after ripping the stock steps off on a club run (popped them both 5' into the air at the same time on an obstacle, I thought it was hilarious, the wife didn't). The rails have survived numerous hits and even a 30 mph crash onto a stone wall a few years ago. I made the hi-lift rack on the front out of stopsign channel, added front and rear tow hooks, swaybar disconnects, CB and antenna, modified soft doors from my Scrambler for summer, and the mirror relocation brackets to run doorless. Otherwise it's completely stock. It has A/C, ABS, D35 with Trac-Lok, both tops (before it was an option), and the vinyl interior (better for hosing down).

We have wheeled it hard, and had some stuff replaced on it, but it's amazing as to where it'll go. It's by far been the best vehicle we've ever owned. We routinely run with the intermediate crowd running 33's, with very few problems, but sometimes a locker would be nice. It's the wife's daily driver though, so I can't get too ruthless with it (little does she know).

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#11 ·
Nope, don't have to rebalance anything. Just as long as they're installed right. You have to put them on all 4. they will make the wheels stick out farther than they are now, and would look funny on just the front. Even though they aren't really necessary on the rear.

'01TJeff

#12 ·
If you are only going to run 11.5" wide tires you would not need them in the back, but if you go 12.5" you will or they will rub the coil mounts.

2001 TJ, Far from Stock
83 CJ7 Laredo, Nearly Stock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.