Front Cage for CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front Cage for CJ7

I am taking the roll bar out of my CJ7 in order to fix a rust hole and line the tub with some herculiner. At the same time I would like to add a front hoop and some spreader bars. I have seen those by M.O.R.E and Kentrol, I want one that will sit up very close to my dash board so entering and exiting the jeep is easier and to not block my field of view too much. Any idea on who make the best front cage kit? Prices seem comparable. Also anyone know the diameter of the front cage kits as opposed to the original rear bar?

-Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:50 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Front Cage for CJ7

I started putting in my front hoop from Smitty last night (Hard top, non padded dash kit WP84). My first impression was cool it goes up under the dash for more leg room, then follows the flat of the dash, then contours to meet the window. Wrong, after cutting it to the height needed, it comes up straight, angles out then up about 4" away from dash (as if to clear a padded dash), then follows the window frame up about 5" away. I thought I received the wrong one so I looked on their site, and the padded dash and non padded dash vehicles use the same kit. On my CJ5 it followed the windshield very close, then came straight down after it met the dash. Having this one stick into the interior this far bothered me, so I cut out two sections of my dash, allowing the hoop to move forward gaining about 4" of door space in doing this, and have rebraced the dash to eliminate any movement.
Rear bars are usually 2" o.d., and front are either 2" o.d. (soft tops) or 1.75" o.d. (hardtops).

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:51 PM

I used a Smittybuilt for mine (~ $100). It worked out OK. Make sure you tack it in position it the way you want it and check all the clearances . Check E-brake, door handles, glove box door, head clearance, etc. Allow at least 1/2" from the roll bar to anything it could rattle against.

The soft top bar was 2" (same as my rear bar) and I think the hard top bar is 1 3/4" diameter.

I would recommend tying into the frame, at least in the front. Also consider gussets in the corners.

If you weld the speaders to the rear bar last, you can remove the front hoop with the spreader bars and base plates tacked on. Then take the front hoop assy out of the Jeep and complete the welds - it is much easier. Then re-install and finish welding.

1976 CJ7 304/TH400/QT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone know the diameters of the M.O.R.E. and the Kentrol cages? If I understand correctly, soft top SMitty is 2" and hard top is 2". I know MORE lists one for no padded dash, I suppose thiswould sit closer than the smitty to the dash?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:56 PM
Pooh-Bah

Kentrol kits are usually 2" as well. Also, the Smitty kits for hard tops are 1.75", not 2" (they give you some extra room to get the bolts in above the windshield)

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

try www.tubesandbends.com for very affordable custom stuff

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 07:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

dont mind me.. im checking to see if my photo whooya.. still allows me to post photos..
this is the one i made for mine.. i love it so far..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode