New Jeep!! Got questions! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

New Jeep!! Got questions!

Hello Gang! Just bought a new jeep, and i've got some questions! I just got a 97 Wrangler TJ (Sport, 5 spd. soft top). I'm not new to jeeps, as I used to drive a 91, but I'm in whole new territory with the newer model.

Ok..Questions:

I'm pretty sure that the center console is aftermarket (padded, rear cupholders, it moves around ) I like it, but it poses a problem for folding and tumbling the rear seat. Is there any aftermarket console that is nicely padded, and good looking that will cleat the fold and tumble backseat for the TJ? I have seen one in a catalog for the YJ, but not for my newer model. Any guidance??

Question #2

does anyone have any experience with the THOR sound wedges? ease of installation, sound, speaker installation (i plan on getting the empty boxes, and throwing a component set in there) And how secure are they?

Thirdly,

I've already got front tow hooks, and skid plates under the gas tank and the transmission. What next for moderate off roading capability (wheels, tires, and MAYBE a small lift are in the runnning)

Well, thanks for listening, and I look forward to whatever help you all can give. The most important issue right now is the ability to fold the rear seat up, as that's where my pup likes to hang while we're jeepin'

Thanks again!

bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:59 AM

Re: New Jeep!! Got questions!

Is there any room to move the console forward ... The person that put the console is my jeep made it so the rear seat wouldn't fold up I just moved it forward and remounted it ... works great now.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I'll try that! it just has to leave enough room for the parking brake lever, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:09 PM
I Do This For The Glory

What type of off-roading do you plan on doing? Also what percentage of your time will be off-road. These questions will help us in determining the right tire, or at least pointing you in the right direction.

Can you fill out your profile a little more, it'll help us to answer questions, like what region you're in. The northeast has general trail running (rock, mud, no sand), the west is mostly rock, the south is mud, you get the idea.

I'd add a set of swaybar disconnects to the TJ, you'll be surprised at where it'll go. Then I'd add some decent recovery equipment, like a hi-lift and tow straps, and a rear tow hook, the '97's didn't come with any. Add a CB, join a club, and learn to wheel it the best you can. Once you've mastered it, you'll know which modifications to make and why, which is the most important. The TJ will amaze you as to where it'll go in stock or near stock form.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 02:04 PM

If the skid plate on your gas tank is stock, think about replacing it. It's not very thick and leaves the driver's side vunerable. I know I sound paranoid, but having a stick put a 2" diameter hole in the only unprotected part of you gas tank can make you once bitten twice shy.

I'm with Jeepn on the tow hooks, strap, hi-lift and quick disconnects. Since I've put these additions on, I've been very happy with them. I haven't even upgraded my tires yet and the stuff I've gone over/through amazes even me.

Rob

"Anyone perfect must be lying.
Anything easy has its cost."
Barenaked Ladies
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Some good sound advice. Thank you. I've added some information to my profile. I'm not (at least right now) interested in doing really hardcore rock crawling, but more of taking the jeep to the places that i do things - mountians, trails, ski areas, beach, and doing moderate off roading there.

On the console issue- i looked at it, and it doesn't seem to be able to move forward much at all - an inch at max. and i need much more clearance for the back seat to settle in place properly- any more suggestions?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 03:01 PM

I believe Mopar makes a centre console for TJ's that was installed in the Sahara edition. It's got two cup holders and a locking box. I've got it on mine, but it came from the factory like that.

I'm not sure if you can get it aftermarket or not.

Rob

"Anyone perfect must be lying.
Anything easy has its cost."
Barenaked Ladies
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 05:11 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Good note about the gas tank. We are still running the stock skid plate, and the gas tank one has a few rips in it. In fact, they are all dented, like someone turned the jeep over and took a 4 lb sledge to it.

I'd look into an aftermarket console, or a stock one like at http://www.car-part.com and get one of the ones that came in the Sport and Sahara models. If you do a search there on "Interior panels-misc", you'll find they go for less than $85, but I'd call to see what just the console would cost.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode