Outa here for 8 days! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Outa here for 8 days!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Well, I can't think of anything more to do to our "new" 1980 FS GM 3/4T so I guess we're ready to take our trip to Iowa beginning this coming Saturday. We're going to pull a big storage trailer that we have all of our "excess" stuff in and then leave everything there at the farm and fly back. I have literally gone bumper-to-bumper on this pickup, and have tried to make it a "super puller". (Twin stick 205; rear axle temperature guage; and much, much more) Interestingly enough, there was an article in the latest issue of Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road about whether to "build or buy" a super tow rig. With EVERYTHING re-done we are still under $9500, including everything...purchase, license, etc......everything like new. THE PROBLEM IS that to BUY a truck and get the really good stuff, you have to go clear up to the new super rigs and that's in the $35,000 and on up to $50,000 range. Just THINKING about those payments makes me ill.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So I'll be off the BBS until Sunday September 16, putting 2000 hard miles on the "puller".

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:47 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Outa here for 8 days!

As you're leaving California, don't look back you'll turn into a pillar of salt!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 08:24 AM

Have a great trip, Dave.
And on your last trip out ... pull the plug will ya?
I've always thought Scottsdale would make good beach front property ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:25 AM

We will keep an eye on the moon guys for ya, and feed em regularly.
Have a great trip.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:07 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Dave, got the disk and your letter, thanks and I'll go over them tonight.

Take care and flip Cali off for me as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jeep "N"......you ought to see me use that second stick. I shift that 205 up and down at will, and at any speed that I want. I even drop into low range to come off the hiway into our nest in the dense and twisty Oak forest that so far hasn't caught fire yet.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 04:11 AM
I Do This For The Glory

You must be double clutching when you shift it, never thought of running it like a splitter, never tow anything that heavy. I'll have to give that a try.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The rule is: Clutch to neutral, but then let the clutch back out; adjust the RPM, and feel for the gate with the clutch OUT. The slack will allow you to just slide right in and then gently apply the power. This works superbly well, especially since the ratio in 3rd Direct is just a hair higher (1.57) than 4th Under (1.96) so in the hands of a skilled driver,the double shift......3rd direct to 4th Under......just greases right in there like it was an automatic.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I did this double gear both up and down a zillion times crossing the Sierras and then the Rockies.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you've got yourself a personal "Turtle V Expedition Vehicle!" Enjoy the trip - stop and see the sights along the way.

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We stopped at CABELA's in Sidney Nebraska. WHAT an impressive store. Every imaginable gun, fishing rod, and other outdoor/hunting appliance. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode