How to mount front bumper - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

How to mount front bumper

I have looked at all the pictures I can find, looked at the pics of the bumpers built by people on this board, and have a questions on the mounting for the front. I have some 3/16" wall 2"x4" steel for my front and rear bumpers. I am putting a 2" receiver into both of them (for a "D" ring slug, and vise mounted to a slug). The stock CJ bumper is just a "C" channel that is bolted to the top and bottom of the frame rails. I can think of three ways to mount the front one, and am wondering which way people have done their's.
1- Put four tabs on the rectangular tube for mounting in the stock holes.
2- Make a plate to go on the outsides of each frame rail that would be welded to the bumper on one end, and sandwiched between the SRS bracket and frame with blts on the other.
3- Make the bumper an integral part of the frame by welding it on, inside and outside edges of frame rail.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:33 AM

Re: How to mount front bumper

I would suggest tabs.

Or perhaps if your not having a winch, you could just stick it on, so when gradma backs into you, your bumper crumples, and not your frame.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought some 3/8" x 1.5" steel. Cut them to about 4-6 inches or so in length. Drilled holes in them to match up to stock holes. Bolted the bottom two in. Placed the bumper (2x4x48 at 1/4" thickness) exactly where I wanted it on the bottom two tabs. Bolted the top tabs on. At this point everything looked flush and the bumper was held on by compression of the 4 tabs. Simply welded the tabs onto the bumper. Bought 2 10,000 pound tow hooks, painted everything a couple of times and bolted it all back on. Very simple, very strong (I think), dirt cheap, looks good IMH(but correct)O, and I made it.

I wouldn't weld it to the frame....Your asking for trouble

Bakes
97 Wrangler
90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used 2" Angle. I laid the 2" angle on the front of the frame, drilled the holes, than centered it on the bumper and welded the 2" angle to the bumper. As far as the bottom goes, I did the same thing with smaller pieces of the 2" angle. (the top mount went from one frame rail to the other. )

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran my d-ring brackets through the bumper and tied it into the frame: they are three pieces sandwiched together, a 3/8" bar about 15" long and two pieces of 4" angle iron cut to 2". The angle iron is welded to the back of the bumper and the 3/8" piece is bolted to the side of the frame rail with 5/8" bolts and also welded in place. I dont have any pics of this setup now, but can have some on later today if you want to see it.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"
74CJ,304,T-18,D20w/Tera Low 3.15:1, dana30&44wlockrights,fullcage,woods'shafts, 33" BFG MT's(SOA, 60rear and 44front soon)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like your second idea the best. The sides of the frame are much stronger than the top and bottom, especially if you will be pulling on it. I wouldn't weld to the frame because sooner or later you will damage the bumper and want to replace it. You may also want to have easier access to your steering box and mounts or see a better way of mounting the bumper and want to make changes.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why do you say the sides are much stronger?

Bakes
97 Wrangler
90 Bronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 06:12 PM

I used 3" angle iron to box the tops and sides of the frame rails and welded to the bumper with a winch plate welded to the bumper and both pieces of angle iron. I ran the angle iron all the way back to where the sway bar mounts and notched out the top piece where it meets the front grill so that it only extends along the side of the frame. I had to add a small piece underneath at the end of the angle iron to reach the swaybar mount hole. To mount it, I used the swaybar holes with the bushings, the stock mount on the front top, and the two large holes in the side of the frnt frame rails. On the inside of the frame rails I ran a 1/2" steel plate with a nut welded on for the side mounts. Just remember to give yourself some room for shrinkage when you weld it. I tack welded everything in place, took it off to complete, and hammered it back on. Fits like a glove.

<font color=blue>Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode