Carter BBD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Carter BBD

I just had a quick question.

I'm going to go get my MotorCraft 2100 this weekend, but before i do I figured I should ask "What is an idle mixture screw?"

I've been adjusting the crap out of the 2 screws that are spring mounted and attached to the throtle linkage.

are those the idle screws? or are the two screws deep down in the carb above the venturi cluster the two idle mixture screws. (When I took it appart I just put those back in there snug.)
They are two screws with holes in them.

Anyone?

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:15 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Carter BBD

The two screws you are looking for are halfway down the carb, towards the front of your jeep.(opposite side of your stepper motor if you have one).
Try to adjust them a little at a time in equal increments, if you can.
Bryan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

http://www.geocities.com/yjlaredo240/index.htm<font color=green>Dana 30 Vaccuum disconnect courtesy of xjy173</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Are they inside the carb? or outside.

Because the only screws outside the carb are big ones that hold it to the manafold, and the two idle (rpm) adjusting ones.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:10 PM
Old Hand

the idle mixture screws do have springs on them. they are close to the base of the carb, on the side facing the front of your jeep. keep looking, you'll see em. adjust them equally with 1/4 turns, starting from about 2 turns out (rich) and then keep leaning it out. If you do a search you can find specific Carter BBD tuning instructions.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:40 PM
Addict

Those idle mixture screws may be "capped" to keep you from tampering with them for emission purposes. You might have to take the carb off (unless you find another way) to drill the caps off.
As previously mentioned, move these screws alittle at a time. Too far in and the engine will start to die. As you move them out you should notice that the idle speed (rpms) increases. I like to turn the screws in until the engine starts running rough and then I back them out about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn.

Imagine life with no paved roadways!
Billy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to need a picture.

Anyone with a digital camera care to aid me?
It's a rebuilt carter, but there's no sign of any screws capped or not. (We don't have emmissions here.)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are just below and on either side of your fuel line input on the front of the carb. You may have to move some wires out of the way to see them because the carter is so cluttered. Get to the front of the Jeep and bend down so your eyes are just above the radiator and you should see them. These are the idle mixture screws. If you have done the Nutter, you are likely running rich and adjusting these, (only a bit) may help that at idle only.
The only thing that will change with the screws you are adjusting now is 1. it will rev too high or low and 2. the choke is set too high or low.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

I figured, when it doesn't stall and die, it revs at 1700.
Otherwise it just slowly winds down and dies. Sometimes it just dies, and others it tries to hold on.
I disconnected my electric choke. Figured I should get it to idle first then mess with the choke.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:00 AM
sas87yj

the carter blues!

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/solvac.htm

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

the best thing to do if idle probs like NOT wanting to idle is to clean out the idle pick-up tubes. only takes 1 hour to do and has been my prob before. follow instructions on site above.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 10:33 AM
Can't Get Enough

Let me know what you think of the 2100 carb when you get it installed. I am thinking of useing one myself. My other option is to use an Edelbrock preformer 500 cfm with a new manifold. The 2100 would be cheaper, but I don't know if the performance would be as good.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode